DT 466 E No Start. Air in fuel?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
mad2.gif Heres the skinny,
The truck was running doggy it was a while since I changed the fuel filter and a fuel line was wet at the fitting on the filter housing. So, I pulled the filter housing tore it down resealed the fittings, R&R the fuel Filter, Fabed up and installed new doughnut seals for the fuel line compression fittings, put it together. Fuel filter was filled before starting it almost ran chugged and stalled and will not start. I Worked the hand pump for quite a few cycles and bled the scrader valve, starts to fire and thats it.
Q. What am I missing?

2003 International 4300, 330,000, original injectors.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Measured and cut from 3/16 fuel line done this on a couple times.

It will almost start. Im sure its somthing simple.

I will check the filter.
Be back in a few.

guido4475

Not a Member
Zorry said it right. you could of sucked the filter dry, being as how the fuel system could of drained itself while you were working on the fuel filter housing.Try re-filling the fuel filter again, and see what happens.

Also, I don't know if the electronic navistar engines had them or not, but there is a filter that international refers to as a "Rock catcher" before the fuel filter housing. It is around 1-1.5 inches in diameter, and is aobut 2 inches long, and will most likely be painted the same color as the engine. It is a plastic spin-on deal, and it is meant to catch any big stuff before going into the fuel filter itself.Bascially, it is like a bowl on a carberator on a briggs and stratton. You may want to try that also, if it is there.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I cleaned the rock catcher when I resealed the housing I think the fuel is starting to get to the injectors I tried the hand pump again, cranked and almost started. Got the booster on it now as the bateries are getting weak.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Once you get it running...get the immediate problem solved...if it is still sluggish, I would consider replacing all fuel lines if they are original.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As far as I know theyre original I kinda questioned them as they have some surface rust showing.
Dealership not open today.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Zorry,
I pulled the filter and yep, nearly empty, Topped it off and will try cranking again in a few. Had to take over the cord for the charger light helps. Its 31 deg.F so ofcorse the block heater is pulling on the bateries.

guido4475

Not a Member
Zorry,
I pulled the filter and yep, nearly empty, Topped it off and will try cranking again in a few. Had to take over the cord for the charger light helps. Its 31 deg.F so ofcorse the block heater is pulling on the bateries.

You may have to refill the filter a couple of times after each cranking period.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
As far as I know theyre original I kinda questioned them as they have some surface rust showing.
Dealership not open today.
I was referring to rubber lines...sounds like you may have some metal too? Rubber fuel lines have a tendency to deteriorate from the inside after a few years. A really bad rubber line can be weak enough to collapse or partially collapse causing a sluggish performance.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been a few years mostly before Neoprene fuel lines but Ive also seen rubber lines so bad that a litle preasure and the inner portion spews out when you give it a shot of air from a blow gun. looks lice a sea cucumber turning inside out. Looks kinda cool if its not your vehicle as it can clog everything from that point on.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank You for the tips.
Im calling it a nite, its getting late and I dont want to disturb the neighbors theyre preaty decent about the truck even when I back down the driveway sometimes at 2 A.M. Ill have to takle this tomorrow, I have a truck mechanic arround the corner who can give me a hand if I cant solve the riddle.
Any chance I may need to pull the fuel rail or injectors? At least Im having to deal with this at home and not on the road.

If you have anymore sugestions post em and Ill let you know how I make out.

Thanks again
Bob Wolf.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I learned something in tool and die that I have always used when working on trucks too.

When you attempt a repair and it's just not going right...don't go deeper looking for other problems. In other words, your truck was running when you got it home. Some part of what your doing with the filter is why it's not running now. Get that worked out, then take it for a trip to see if the original problem is better. Going deeper now just complicates the process.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the reminder I will admit I tend to try reinventing the wheel. Now if I can only make a trapizoid roll. L.O.L.
Anyway, Ill deal with it tomorrow when I have a clear head.
Bob Wolf.

sthfl2000

Active Expediter
Put an inline elect fuel pump in prior to the injector pump...crack each injector line starting with the one furthest from the injector pump...once all bled..attempt start..once running, check for air leaks at fuel rail connectors with carb cleaner or wd40 listening for engine sound changes...if running ok...remove electric pump and attempt restart...if no good, then prob may be in injector pump and/or pickup pump...good luck

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So far
I pulled the filter, housing, and fuel lines lines off, this time I had fuel in the filter also just for kicks I removed the hand primer when I pump it and block the end with my finger it dosent have any pull at all. So I will either replace or 86 it. I asked a tech about pluging it off and he said I should be ok as Int. deleted them for a couple years because they leaked. As long as its running tonite.
Ill update everyone later.

Bob Wolf.