Dry run and Dwell time

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have been discussing the following issues and wonder what others think of these policies:

What would happen if the slate was wiped clean and we no longer had Express Centers?

What would fair compensation be for a truck that is pre dispatched several days before a load is to pickup and the load cancels on morning of pickup?

What is fair compensation when a truck has started traveling towards pickup and the load cancels?

Should a truck be paid for all miles they have traveled towards the pickup and then when load cancels all miles back to where the truck moved?

Why when stopped do we have to check in when the computer knows where we are?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have been discussing the following issues and wonder what others think of these policies:

1 What would happen if the slate was wiped clean and we no longer had Express Centers?

2 What would fair compensation be for a truck that is pre dispatched several days before a load is to pickup and the load cancels on morning of pickup?

3a What is fair compensation when a truck has started traveling towards pickup and the load cancels?

3b Should a truck be paid for all miles they have traveled towards the pickup and then when load cancels all miles back to where the truck moved?

4 Why when stopped do we have to check in when the computer knows where we are?

1 What would be the point of doing away with them? As long as it doesn't also do away with DHPL it doesn't matter either way probably since presumably the computer knows which units are within reach of the shipper within the available timespan.

2 From the steering wheel side of the question I think the customer should have to pay detention pay from the day the truck was assigned until it was released. If I recall correctly that's 9 hours detention per calendar day. I'm sure everyone in the company not driving, if told to spend X days somewhere for work, would expect their full pay for those days even if they never were made to work. Why should we be treated any differently?

3a/b The unit should be paid at a minimum full deadhead and fsc for every mile traveled toward the pickup and back to the layover plus dry run pay.

4 Why indeed!! Along with that why do we have to check out? And why do we have to telephone departure calls? We have a state of the art satellite communications system with macros for all sorts of things. Why isn't there a macro for departures? Why do we have to check in/out by phone like we're 3 decades behind the times and satellites don't exist? Those are left over procedures from 30 years ago that technically aren't "broken" so they're using them even though they're out of date and absolutely not at all in keeping with the professional cutting edge image and reputation the company earns and deserves in other areas.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am not a big fan of how we use express centers. There are many areas that by putting the truck into a truck stop I can be in reasonable range of several areas.

Dry run pay is a problem. I don't know the answer. We have had runs cancelled that we had sat on for 3-4 days. At LEAST 50% of the run pay to the truck would be good, BUT, then FDCC might no longer be competitive.

All mile run should be paid.

The computer often has no idea where we are. I don't know if the new clink is better about that. I won't have that until December or whenever the "drop dead" date is.

There is also problems with reefers. We have run a reefer for HOURS getting to temp just to have a load cancel. Nothing for that. We have sat, with freight on the truck, for days due to weather closed roads. NO additional pay for that. Reefers should be paid for every minute they are required to run.

aileron

Expert Expediter
I will not comment about the canceled loads cause my blood will start to boil.

One thing that I would like to see is getting rid of the check in/check out and as a result, the dwell time should start when you send in your POD, or you come back in service. This way if you sit somewhere for 2 days and you don't get a load, you move somewhere else and you don't lose your dwell time.

Also, I would like to see an option on the extranet where you input a zipcode and it will tell you how many units are within 50 or 100 miles from that zipcode with their dwell time. Maybe don't display the truck number (privacy), but if it is a b,c,d,or e unit. It would really help us when we decide to relocate.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

When you say "we" who do you mean?

What would happen if the slate was wiped clean and we no longer had Express Centers

It could mean a change from dwell time that begins when you check into an express center to dwell time that begins when you deliver, wherever you happen to be. "Time from Last Load" could begin immediately and the clock could pause while you were out of service.

What would fair compensation be for a truck that is pre dispatched several days before a load is to pickup and the load cancels on morning of pickup?

A shipper-paid truck ordered but not used penalty of $500 a day, seems fair. The carrier should be paid too because of the work it put into the load. We can talk about the amount and other variables that may come into play, but the current dry run system of a token amount paid to the carrier by a shipper is a joke.

Diane and I have been burned by shippers who abuse the system by booking loads to secure trucks, and paying the small price for canceling the load because it is convenient to them. There are two shippers we no longer serve because of it.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Three strikes and you are out.

When those shippers call now for a truck and dispatch calls us, our answer is no, unless the shipper or carrier will agree to pay the full amount of the run even if the run cancels. If they are willing to pay, we would be pleased to serve the customer. This transfers the risk of a canceled run from us to the shipper (a known bad actor) or carrier (if the carrier is serious about serviing the customer).

We do not ask this of all shippers, only the two at particular locations that have burned us three times and left us marooned in remote areas at great cost to us; after we responded to and acted on their load offers in good faith and fully prepared to hold up our end.

Without such a policy change, we are left with the present one, in which a driver is foolish to agree to a load that picks up several days in advance. We've been burned doing that too and learned our lesson. In the several days we wait for the pick up, any number of other loads could be dispatched to our truck. The more time there is between the moment of dispatch and the pick up, the more likely it is that unforeseen circumstances will develop and the load will cancel.

What is fair compensation when a truck has started traveling towards pickup and the load cancels?

Pay the truck the rate per mile, all miles, that was agreed to when the load was dispatched. Grant less-than-75 status as is done now with a dry run.

Should a truck be paid for all miles they have traveled towards the pickup and then when load cancels all miles back to where the truck moved

No. If express centers are eliminated, and less than 75 status is granted for a canceled load, the truck has a fair chance at all loads within reach, regardless of location. As often as not, the truck may end up in a better location when proceeding toward a pick up that canceled.

With driver variables such as they are, one driver may be thrilled to end up wherever half-way to a shipper may be and another driver may be disappointed. Your question assumes that the driver would want to return to the starting point after a load cancels. I don't think that assumption should be made.

Why when stopped do we have to check in when the computer knows where we are?

Because the FedEx Custom Critical "state of the art" dispatch system is anything but. It contains assumptions that were built into it before cell phones were invented and the telephone booth was the primary means of communication. These decades-old built-in assumptions remain in place because the perceived need or will to ferret them out has not developed with sufficient energy and mass among the powers that be.

Comment:

These are good questions you are asking but I caution you and the "we" against seeing the world in the context of the present dispatch system and Qualcomm technology. Look past what is and think about what will be.

Everybody has a cell phone today and the explosion of smart phones and aps make it possible to outmaneuver Qualcomm at a fraction of the cost. Smart phones or smart phone-like devices that are tied into the truck engine may be the way of the future for trucks needing that link.

Why bother with expensive Qualcomm devices when drivers can carry devices in their pockets, that could also be set in truck-linked dashboard cradles, that have more computing power and application flexibility than Qualcomm users of the past can even begin to imagine if they think only of Qualcomm or Qualcomm-like possibilities?

When thinking not about what is, but about what will be, smart phones have another distinct advantage. The cost of being wrong or changing course is small. Why spend years researching in-truck systems and tons of money to install them when smart phones can do the job? If you are wrong about what you want the technology to do, don't change the device, simply change the aps.

These are challenging and exciting times. We are rapidly reaching the point where billions of people worldwide will be carrying computers in their pocket and have, via the internet, instant access to nearly all of the world's known information. This will cause everything to be invented anew and require leaders in the transportation industry to hone and further develop their imaginations and visionary skills.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Because qc will get a signal 99.947% of the time and cells have around 3/4 coverage at best.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Because qc will get a signal 99.947% of the time and cells have around 3/4 coverage at best.

While that may be true, it is not a permanent condition. There was a time, not so long ago, when there was zero cell phone coverage. Cell phone coverage has expanded rapidly in breadth and depth and continues to do so.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cellular coverage made rapid and excellent progress but no more. It has reached that plateau where added coverage costs more than the benefit of giving the scores of square miles coverage for the scores of potential customers. I would love to be rid of the qc and the $1820 annual usury fee in perpetuity but I have 2 different cells with 2 different carriers and still only have maybe 80-85% coverage. We are a long way from 96+ % coverage by cellular and will never reach the level provided by qc.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I agree Leo that the system needs to be automated on many departure calls. The figure that I heard thrown around was that only 35% of the total calls are automated. I do not believe that it is a high priority item right now.

Dwell time starting as soon as we unload seems as if it should work

The idea of getting paid on miles covered at rate the load was accepted at is novel. This seems as if the most fair instead of a 1 mile to 50 miles covered, 51 miles to 100 miles covered scenario.

I agree on a high number to cover a truck sitting pre dispatched over the weekend to pick up a Monday load.

The idea of a zipcode entered to see where other trucks are is a great idea. I am not sure right now if that information is something FCC would want to display. If there are no Express Centers this might be a way to see how many trucks are in the area.

Thanks to all who have added their thoughts.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
What would really be nice is an interactive map on the internet.
One where you could roll your pointer over an express center and see how many and what type of trucks are checked in.
This info is available on the VRU but calling each express center is time consuming.
Since the info is available it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to accomplish.