Driving solo straight truck for fleet owner

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
I live in north Chicago 20 minutes from the T/A in Russell,IL. I have a class A CDL with hazmat and tanker endorsements. Only interested in solo driving. Willing to stay out 3 weeks at a time BUT ONLY LOOKING FOR INFORMATION right now. Is it likely I will find a fleet owner if I don't want to team?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If that's the only thing you're worried about, sure - there's quite a few of us out here doing just that.
I don't know if we'll be able to continue if EOBRs become mandatory, because the problems of hours sitting at a dock and lack of parking [not such a big deal for s/ts as for t/ts] are being ignored, but so far, we're doin ok.
;)

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
I guess I should have said I am looking for straight truck information. I don't think I want to drive T/T again but you never know.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I know I never want to drive t/t again, but we're all different. If you are looking for any particular info, just ask - we'll try to steer you in the right direction. Or we'll [inadvertently] talk you right out of it, lol. ;)

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I guess I should have said I am looking for straight truck information. I don't think I want to drive T/T again but you never know.

When you use the word again it seems to imply you are not currently driving. How long have you been off the road?

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

ACEofSpades

Seasoned Expediter
The short answer is yes, there are owners who would be willing to bring you on. The problem you will run into is the serious limitations a solo truck has in this industry. You have to understand that a lot of companies need their freight now, not after you get your hours back. I initially ran team with a crooked owner and left him to run solo in a truck that was paid all miles (both with Panther). I doubled my income making that move, but I doubled it again when my Brother-in-law came out to team with me. We were in a truck with a liftgate and a tag axle and I'm sure that had something to do with it, but you get the picture. I have to ask, why the strong aversion to running team?

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
EasyDoesIt;

There are Expedite companies out there that run straight trucks solo. Most of the straight trucks at Premium Transportation Logistics LLC are operated by solo drivers. A quick shout to Scott in recruiting asking him to tell me what straight trucks have averaged in the past month yielded the answer $14,000 Gross, for the past 30 days. Again solo straight trucks, some driven by drivers for owners. There you go.

vazauto10

Active Expediter
I was wondering if someone would be willing to give me advice in entering world of driving a s/t. Problem although I have clean license and no criminal bck ground issues I can't seem to find a company that will hire.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Don't totally write off running team in a straight. If other things look good,try it. It's quite different than the T/T deal.

It may ride better. No long waits in the dock getting loaded/unloaded by crazy forklift drivers. No dropping/hooking. Quite often you'll do early am delivery and both drivers can nap in parked truck where it's quiet for a few hours.
Nothing wrong with running solo. If you have a good partner,running team can be good. Only if you find a good partner.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
I can see the benefit of a co-driver with experience in this industry. I could use his/her knowledge to cut months off my learning curve.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I look at solo driving as a series electric circuit. You can only do so many loads before you get a burned out or overloaded circuit. But if you parallel off that series circuit now you got lots of loads and your running more efficiently. Thus no loss of sleep and no wasted downtime.

Or simply, look at say Wendys Fast Food Chain. Lots of outlets, lots more money coming in and if one breaks down, you still rolling or cooking so to speak.

Do the math, keep rolling, keep loaded, make more bucks and you Mr. Solo by going into a team never burn out. Butttttt, I know many of you say you cannot ride with anyone because you cannot get along. Well thats ok, but you will not make as much money if money is your main goal.

The above 3 paragraphs are free and yes, I wrote this message.lol

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I look at solo driving as a series electric circuit. You can only do so many loads before you get a burned out or overloaded circuit. But if you parallel off that series circuit now you got lots of loads and your running more efficiently. Thus no loss of sleep and no wasted downtime.

Or simply, look at say Wendys Fast Food Chain. Lots of outlets, lots more money coming in and if one breaks down, you still rolling or cooking so to speak.

Do the math, keep rolling, keep loaded, make more bucks and you Mr. Solo by going into a team never burn out. Butttttt, I know many of you say you cannot ride with anyone because you cannot get along. Well thats ok, but you will not make as much money if money is your main goal.

The above 3 paragraphs are free and yes, I wrote this message.lol
I totally and completely disagree. What you say would be true if...and only if...the team truck brings in twice as much money as the solo truck. Most don't. The solo driver may not get as many loads and he/she may not gross as much as the team, but the solo driver will get 100% of the driver pay. Team drivers will have to split the total driver pay to the truck and that total pay is generally less than twice as much as the solo driver pay.

The exceptions to this would be a team in a tval truck or some other specialized field where a fairly large portion of the freight may require dual driver protection or such. Same household teams also do well since all of the money is going to the same household...but even then, if they split the money up they would realize more money individually if they were each driving solo...a personal choice obviously.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah if they would only let my dog be my co-driver
I would be alright. We get along great and works for A bowl of food and his head scratched.