Driving a straight rig w/o a cdL?

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
There is a gentleman advertising in the EO classifieds "drivers wanted", for teams to drive his straight rigs w/ big comtfy sleeper and "NO CDL'S required.

How does this Happen?
Notice the pic, it looks like a cut-out copy and paste photo, this add dosnt set well with me.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Isn't it possible to drive up to 26,000# GVWR straight truck without a CDL? Usually that's a 'C' unit. Sometimes a larger straight can be configured/registered differently so it becomes a 'C' unit, (less weight capacity).
The driver would not be able to haul hazmat, and would have to sign on with a carrier who doesn't require their drivers to carry CDLs.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pj is correct, you can drive some trucks but panther for instance requires cdl for even van drivers. The ad you are referring to only hires same household teams or at least someone with a very strong relationship to there partner.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
You can drive up to 26000 GVWR Truck with out CDL. In Tennessee, you do have to have a "for hire endorsement" on your liscense and a health card. I would imagine every state requires some type of the same. You CANNOT drive a 33000 GVWR truck that is liscensed as a 26000 without a CDL. So I wouldn't be afraid to answer the ad if I was interested. Only downfall might be that he has ragged out trucks and used a picture of nicer trucks in his ads. Ask him about the trucks. Then form an opinion.

This info comes straight from my personal experiences. I drove a 26000 as stated above. I drove a 28900 as a 26000 and that is when I had to go CDL. I now drive 33000.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I just went and looked at the ad. Maybe he hasn't actually bought the truck yet. Some owners do that. They wait till they find a driver and then purchase a truck. If this was what I was looking for, I'd certainly check it out. Find out the details of your agreement and put them on the forum and let the guys tell you if they see something wrong or fishy. Could be a good deal for you.

arsjohn81

Seasoned Expediter
Hey guys....

You CAN register and drive a 33,000 GWVR truck at say 26,000lbs. It all depends in how you register it. If your truck can gross 33k and you register it for 26k to stay out of ifta and what not, then you just better never have a gvw of 26k. You'll have to register each axle rating , so....with some trucks it's not worth it. Now if you have a 33k Gross truck, that weighs 19,000lbs empty......and you plan to haul say up to 12,000lbs.....then no, there is no way to do it, but if that same truck is only going to be hauling 2,000-3,000lbs, then yeah...you can do it.

The other question about cdl's. Keep in mind that some states require a cdl from 10,001lbs +. Some states also DON't require a cdl up to 26k.

Its tricky, but I would look at every state your looking at hauling in and make sure if you don't have a cdl. I know they save 40ft total length for a single unit, and some states will nail you for 42ft, but others will let you go.

I would just check each state law. Even though FED is wrote a certain way, states still have their little laws in place so they can get you, just make sure you do your research if you Don't have a cdl.

Chop

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
You also need a CDL in order to legally drive a truck with airbrakes.

I had always wondered about that too. Not that it matters to me whatsoever, but again just curious ;/
Here we get an air brake endorsement, but I wasn't sure if that endorsement could be added to ANY license, or just to particular ones. ie wasn't sure if you wanted to get that endorsement, if you could have it, even if you didn't have a CDL.

guido4475

Not a Member
You also need a CDL in order to legally drive a truck with airbrakes.
you better check into that a little further. i have had a 25,500 gvw truck for many years with air-ride and air-brakes that DOES NOT REQUIRE A CDL the dot has often referered this as a gray area.and is not enforced.please check with the dot rules and regulations as well as a trusted salesman that is knowedgeable in building a proper straight truck.as far as taking a 33,000 gvw truck and lowering it to a 26,000 gvw or less.i have the tickets to prove it is illegal to do it in the state of ohio.the dot officer said it is illegal to do this elsewhere, as well.this can also involve fuel tax evasion being as how you are not required to pay fuel taxes/ifta with a 26,000 gvw truck.but you have an original 33,000 gvw truck.it may look as if you are trying to get out of paying fuel taxes by reducing the gvw rating on paper.

miker

Seasoned Expediter
in South Carolina , you do not need a cdl to drive a truck under 26,001 with air brakes, no need in Ohio either

miker

Seasoned Expediter
I met a guy in Chicago a couple weeks ago that said it was a requirement in Illinois, he had a class c there and said that he was not allowed to drive anything with airbrakes regardless of the wieght

arsjohn81

Seasoned Expediter
.as far as taking a 33,000 gvw truck and lowering it to a 26,000 gvw or less.i have the tickets to prove it is illegal to do it in the state of ohio.the dot officer said it is illegal to do this elsewhere, as well.this can also involve fuel tax evasion being as how you are not required to pay fuel taxes/ifta with a 26,000 gvw truck.but you have an original 33,000 gvw truck.it may look as if you are trying to get out of paying fuel taxes by reducing the gvw rating on paper.

I did look on the fmcsa site and cound't find it in words, either way!!! I can't see how they can limit where you register your truck. GVWR is the manufactors weight limit for the truck. I highly doubt that you can be punished for not using all of the capibilities of that said truck. I'M NOT saying that you didn't get a ticket in Ohio, because well.........anyone who drives a truck knows about Ohio, lol.......... BUT...... If your truck can gross 33k and it weighs 20K empty, and you only haul 5k at any or all times........then, why would you have to pay IFTA??

Now, its not usual for this circumstance, but it happens. Even though that truck MAY gross more then 26k, that doesnt mean that the operating weight is greater then 26k. And if that is the case, then NO.....Legally, you are not avaiding anytype of Taxes or laws.

IE= My friend has a kw t300 w/ 24ft box and liftgate. All he does is custom cycle transport, and its gross is 26,000lbs. The empty of his truck is just about 19k with everything aboard. He generally hauls 4-7 bikes at a time, and if you can find 4 cycles that weight 7k, then....DAYUM, lol. There fore, 90% of the time he's prolly only hauling about 2-4k bringing the gross of that truck to roughly 23k-25k. That being said.....again.....why should he have to pay ifta for complying with the writen federal/state laws?

Not trying to nit pick, but thought I'd make my point being that someone is asking about rules/laws w/ things of operating nature. AGAIN, I know how Ohio is, and I don't doubt you ot that ticket, but you also have to tell that every DOT guy that has ever inspected you, or ticketed you is 100% educated in his line of work, NOT just BOOK edjumakated!!!!!! Know what I'm saying?

Chop

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
You all have been helpfull. Drove full size school bus for many years in Michigan and needed to maintain cdl w/ air, p, and recently S endoursements. When seeing this add I was confussed , thinking that his trucks weight was close to or more than school bus.

This add has appeared on here several times,,, makes me wounder.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
CDL Federal Regulations.
A- Any vehicle with a gross GVWR of 26,001 or more lbs, provided the GVWR of the Vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 lbs.
B- Any single vehicle with a gross GVWR of 26,001 or more. Any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 GVRW.
C- Any single vehicle or combination of vehicles that does NOT meet A or B definition, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver or is Placarded for Haz-Mat.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
According ti the Federal Motor Carrier and Safety Administration "No CDL with Air Brake endorsement is required for a vehicle under 26,000 GRVW".

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
According ti the Federal Motor Carrier and Safety Administration "No CDL with Air Brake endorsement is required for a vehicle under 26,000 GRVW".

Since I started that whole mess due to the fact I'd been told I had to have a CDL to drive a truck with airbrakes, does this mean you can have an airbrake endorsement on a chauffeur's license?

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Since I started that whole mess due to the fact I'd been told I had to have a CDL to drive a truck with airbrakes, does this mean you can have an airbrake endorsement on a chauffeur's license?

I don't know if this varies by state but here in WA state, you can of course drive under 26K with no CDL BUT if the truck has air brakes an endorsement (or rather removal of a Ab restriction) is required.................the only way to GET that endorsement is on a CDL so in order to be AB qualified you need a CDL by default.

In Canada (or BC at least) you can add the AB endorsement to a class 5 (passenger) license by taking the 16 hour (required) course.