Warning Drivers please read this. RIP. Young Expediter.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Condolences to the expediter's family.

As to preventing this type of tragedy; a quality carbon monoxide detector would be a first defense. The generator could be the cause. I remember terryandrene posting about getting a CO alert from nearby idling gasser.

Reactions: RoadTime

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Quality sleeper builders put a carbon monoxide detector in as standard. Hard wired. I don’t know if it’s by regulation or just a good business practice.
They have about a five year lifespan.

Sad situation.
A warning to fleet owners. There’s probably some liability here.

Condolences to the family.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is terrible. Condolences to his family. I had 2 detectors in my vehicle, one up front and one at the back. I would never have less than 2 if I were back on the road. Cheap insurance and exponentially less than the cost of a funeral.

Gear_Grinder

Rookie Expediter
Researching
My Condolences go out to the friends and family of this young man especially around this time of year when friends and family come together to celebrate the holidays. It’s hard to see someone so young shorten their lives by trying to make a living. Spread the awareness.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Condolences to that drivers family. I was just there the other night 12/5 - 12/6 at that Pilot.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
My sincere condolences to the relatives of the man involved.

It does explain why I don't do that, and why I move when someone fires them things up next to me.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Very sad to read.

I've always used a CO detector. Back when I used a big buddy heater, the detector I had was too sensitive for the heater, but still at safe levels. Would also go off by near by vehicles. I switch to one that didn't go off at very low levels. Now having a espar and as a result of this tragic event, I think i'll bring the ultra sensitive monitor back on board. Rather deal with the occasional nuisance alarm, then not wake up at all.

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
So young, God bless his loved ones.......................
Very .
Early in my expediting career I talked to a team in a sprinter. They had a generator mounted on the front of the van, in front of the grill. One night they almost didn't make it. They had the generator running and the wind was blowing CO into the van. He woke up to go to the bathroom and he was dizzy, his wife was almost passed out. They barely made it.
Not long after that I bought a CO detector and I'm never without one. I never thought about the possibility that the CO detector might be faulty so I will buy a second one just to be sure.

Condoleances to the family.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when you park always make sure you have a lot of room around you , for air.
so sorry to hear that happen , family is in my pray's

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Terrible and sad news, it would be nice to know how this happened generator inside the van or how did the smoke get trapped inside the van.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
does it really matter how it happened? a fellow is dead..same result....an idling gas van can be a death trap...I heard a story a fellow died when the wind was just right and it was the van next to him that killed him...

Reactions: ntimevan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know of only 4 things that would do this...
1. a leaky exhaust system....
2. running a generator indoors...
3. parked next to someone idling...
4. parked with rear end into the wind and your own exhaust gets you....

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So the solution is not to idle ever and get exhaust system checked frequently so you don't harm others near you if you do choose to idle. Pretty sure my exhaust is original on my 06 Sprinter, originally a south Florida vehicle and I have only made a couple trips up north in the winter.

I never idle more then a hour or two if I'm sleeping up front across the seats which I don't really do anymore unless I'm awake and taking a break. Espar planned finally coming 2018.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
diesel produces much less Carbon Monoxide then gas....but if certain conditions exist it will kill....
since a lot of other drivers circumvent pollution controls in gas vans to maximize MPG...their fumes are big time killers...:(

Diesel engines run by creating pressure and don’t require the actual spark gasoline engines do; they are also able to process the fuel more efficiently, therefore releasing much lower levels of CO than gasoline engines. A study in 1941, by Holtz and Elliott, found that when a diesel engine was run within the manufacturer’s specifications for fuel efficiency it produced only a small amount of carbon monoxide, not enough to be quickly lethal. However, when the fuel pump was adjusted so that it injected more fuel the carbon monoxide content in the exhaust rose to 0.6 percent. This is a lethal amount.

Reactions: Turtle