Driver retention

Dave Sullivan

Seasoned Expediter
Merry Christmas all, I don't post often. However, i would like opinions on the subject of driver retention. This is a touchy subject . My focus is cargo vans, my o/o are great but i do have some company owned units that basically do the stuff that doesn't pay an o/o enough to take. We pay the drivers fairly but it never seems to be the correct combination of pay, miles,home time.
I think the work ethics are lost. Happy Holidays Dave

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Merry Christmas all, I don't post often. However, i would like opinions on the subject of driver retention. This is a touchy subject . My focus is cargo vans, my o/o are great but i do have some company owned units that basically do the stuff that doesn't pay an o/o enough to take. We pay the drivers fairly but it never seems to be the correct combination of pay, miles,home time.
I think the work ethics are lost. Happy Holidays Dave

Why is it a touchy subject?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Chick-fil-A doesn't pay much better than McDonald's but what a difference in quality. Why?

They conduct a proper interview/screening
They set proper expectations
They train
They manage (as needed)

Translate to our industry:

No hire before in-person interview
Cut the BS and give them reality
Forget Orientation, ride with them for 2-3 days
A lot of communication until everyone is comfortable as a team.

IMHO

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
See, you've got it backwards. You're supposed to take all the great paying loads in the company trucks, and pay the drivers barely enough to live on. All the crap loads go to the O/O until they starve to death or go bankrupt (you get your percentage regardless and pay no expenses). That way, your employees don't get upset when they talk to the O/O and find out how much they make.

At least, that's how the majority of trucking companies run...:D

guido4475

Not a Member
i do have some company owned units that basically do the stuff that doesn't pay an o/o enough to take.
The real answer is buried in your post. Drop the cheap freight and focus on loads that pay properly

Exactly. Preach it, brother. Be a part of the solution by saying no to cheap freight. Refuse that cheap garbage. Nothing frosts my azz more than the kind of driver who always uses the phrase "well, at least I'm moving", while hauling loads for welfare rates, all the while 1 breakdown away from bankruptcy.