Driver Health Hazard: Deep Vein Thrombosis

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
What do people who fly long distances, elderly people and truck drivers have in common, the possibility of developing deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

All may sit for long periods of time causing lack of circulation in the lower body leading to the development of blood clots in the lower extremities.

Read more...

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
I got mine in 2008. Now on coumadin for life @2mg.with varying doses according to monthly test.
I ama factor 5 just like my father was.
I now try to get out and walk around for 15 minutes(not just restroom break). every 2hrs or so. also I will play left foot in right foot in(hockey pokey) when got the cruse on..LOL

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Listening to music and tapping our feet on the floor of the truck when driving will help and like cranis says while on cruise move your legs. When there is no traffic I will do leg lifts with knee bent for 100 times and then repeat.

I start driving between 2 - 3 in the morning and I usually do not stop till the sun is up due to congestion in rest area and not wanting the unusual movement of pulling into a truck stop I drive for several hours before taking a break.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Mine aren't deep, but Superficial Thrombophlebitis. Just close to surface. Not dangerous but hurts like hell sometimes. 81 mg a day and I bounce my legs off the balls of my feet.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
At this moment, career trucker Glen Rice, who is well known to many in the expediting community, is in the hospital because of DVT. He made his delivery (as "Keep on truck'n" Glen Rice is prone to do) and went to the hospital where he was diagnosed with heart failure and multiple blood clots in his lungs. He is still alive and hospitalized as treatment continues and friends and family pray and hope for the best.