Down sizing free speech?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Down sizing free speech? Well, at least a attempt to limit the size and length of time you can have a sign up on your own property. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to look at this everyday, so I can understand it. But I also take issue with creating ordinances to limit what I can and can't do on my own property. Seems like a slippery slope...what's next?

From my home town paper...

http://bwne.ws/2BYZzAV

Reactions: Turtle

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cities have all kinds of ordinances on what you can and can't do on your own property.
When i had a cube van, the city would flag me every year for violating their ordinance about having a commercial vehicle parked in MY driveway. I had to go before city council every year (pay 50 dollars) to try to have them waive the restriction. A little different situation with the signs, but there are ordinances for all kinds of things for what people want to do on their own property.

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That would be very frustrating over a cube van. When I think about all the things around town that don't get enforced, or just seem wrong, it's gets pretty irritating.

When I moved 6 miles back into Port Huron, I had the same trash pick up company. My trash can, which was fine before, was now flagged for being 2 inches taller then the local ordinance allowed. Also was not emptied even though there was only one small bag in it o_O The real irritating part is what they do allow. I could literally create a mountain of unbagged trash, no matter how high, and the trash company has to pick it all up :rolleyes:

The trash mountains were most likely allowed due to the high amount of rentals in the area. This is a common sight every month. I just love picking up other peoples trash that has blown into my yard :mad:

Reactions: xmudman and muttly