down sizing again

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
Chrysler down sizing, GM and Ford have down sized. Does this bring in people that got a chunk of money, buy a truck and think their going to run around the country delivery freight and having fun? Mien while cutting the throats of those that do this for living. By maybe taking loads for less then profitable rate. Just wondering!!!!! Hurrier you go the be hinder you get! Tom Tinker

gavinsdad

Seasoned Expediter
I got downsized out by a Tier 1 automotive supplier and got into a D-Unit. I am an owner operator. This does not mean that I got into this for the fun of it. I spent 6 years as a truck driver before I got into the auto industry, and going back into trucking was not really a matter of choice rather than a matter of necessity to keep my family fed and the bills paid. Why do so many people have something against former autoworkers getting into expediting? We are just trying to make a living same as the veterans of this industry.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
>Why do so many people have something against former autoworkers getting into expediting? We are just trying to make a living same as the veterans of this industry.>

Fear is the answer that first comes to mind. Even though I havent broken into the biz yet...I can understand the feelings of those who have done this for a while and wonder what their long term outlook is. There is also the "Mexican driver/company" issue running now as well. Everybody here just wants to feel good about what they are doing and hope they can afford to keep on going.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The resentment you sense is not directed at drivers like yourself, but at those who know nothing of trucking in general, or expedited freight in particular, and are attracted by the idea of being "paid tourists". You know, the ones who think anyone can do this, just buy a van, it's that easy. They get signed on by a carrier who wants a van on every street corner, so to speak, but their lack of knowledge makes us all look unprofessional. I have spoken with several drivers who admit they don't need the money, they're in it to stave off boredom, or whatever, and I wish they's take up golf instead!

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
>Chrysler down sizing, GM and Ford have down sized. Does this
>bring in people that got a chunk of money, buy a truck and
>think their going to run around the country delivery freight
>and having fun? Mien while cutting the throats of those that
>do this for living. By maybe taking loads for less then
>profitable rate. Just wondering!!!!!
> Hurrier you go the be hinder you get! Tom Tinker

the owner of the truck cant cut your throat,just the company he leases to,them by cutting the rates,since they have a new fish to haul what he thinks is making him a profit.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To Me it means more Cargo Vans in a Business with too many Cargo Vans already. Cargo Vans have been The Victim of Downsizing for Years. Everytime a Company downsizes or offer a Buyout.These People who are too Young to Retire take that Money Buy A van and Hit the Road and get in my way.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
Cheri hit it pretty good I'm talking of the ones that do it as a hobby, or to get away from home and not for a living.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Well yeah ..wheather they have a lot of trucks doing a few loads or few truck doing a lot .. it doesnt matter ..what matters is that load gets delivered and Tri state, Pii Ctx is paid ...done deal..we bear the brunt of the cost, and liability..the more trucks and vans the less they need us ..then they callthe shots..Like we do when we are in a hot area and we are th only one... and say " wont do that, wont go there. fsc too low >.that s the game .

Booker

Expert Expediter
I am one of these autoworkers that retired and went into expediting. I retired after 33 years in skilled trades at a major automaker at age 53. I still wanted to work and after talking to many expediters that delivered to the plant where I worked, I decided to look into it as a new career. My wife had decided to leave her job and we figured it was a good time to make the jump. We bought a new truck and drove it for 4 years, sold it, and then drove for one and a half years for a fleet owner. We now have a new truck on order and plan on staying in the business. I am no different than people that come out of the military or other careers. We were not just on vacation. We accepted about 86% of the loads that were offered to us and stayed in service 72% of the time. Sure we enjoyed seeing this great country but we considered it a job like the one that we left. How much a driver runs depends on the type of equipment one carries and how the truck is equipped. Crossing over into a new industry was a challenge but we have never regretted making the change. In fact, we look at it as some of the best years of our life. "It's all about the journey."

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Seems like the two former auto workers answered that fear fairly well. What makes an o/o successful is learning the business, dedication, and smart decisions about money, purchases, investments, etc. Do companies put on too many trucks? To ask is to answer that one. However, I feel way more threatened by the steering wheel holders that FLEET owners put in their trucks, or even VANS?

Not to knock Dave KC, etc, but that is where the problem is. They come out here with their "don't care" mentality, and then screw up loads, and wreck NLM standings, etc. I bailed out a former co. by going to the scale house on 75N in Mi. in my car. The guy tried to drive from Dallas to Detroit with a load he had on his back before XMAS, by leaving TX. on a Sun morning for a Mon. delivery. His owner ok'd me driving his truck, and I finished the load late to Mt. Clemens. The so-called driver never budged from his bunk: he was stopped for erratic driving while entering the scale house. Duhhh...