DOT/Trooper

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
A friend of mine in his cargo van was pulled over for following to close and got a warning ticket , but the officer wanted to see his log sheet, so my friend told him cargo vans don't need one so the trooper call his boss and let him go. But the officer make sure he had a Dot number, checked his delivery papers for the week and insurance papers in his van, and his commercial tag. If we are under 10,000 lbs, why a dot check,,we dont go thru way stations either
This was in Indiana...........u all be careful

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
And so?

OH yes be careful not to tailgate, it is a rather dangerous thing to do and can ruin the day of the guy you hit in front of you.

jw-bama

Seasoned Expediter
And so?

OH yes be careful not to tailgate, it is a rather dangerous thing to do and can ruin the day of the guy you hit in front of you.

now that funny!!! surest way i know to get a dot inspection...besides it wreckless driving if your caught tailgating.

fortwayne

Not a Member
Just because you don't have to log, and just because you don't have to go through weight stations, does not give you the exception to having a safe vehicle, be it a van or a regular vehicle on the public highways.

ALL VEHICLES must have a 'certain' level of safety about them.....even though I have seen alot of cars of the streets that the darn tires about ready to fall off along with the rear bumper.

Besides if your driving to closely - he had every right to give out a warning ticket.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I hate to say this ... no not really ...

I think maybe all of us straight truck and T/T owners need to start a serious petition to get vans to be included on logging and scaling. :p

guido4475

Not a Member

I think maybe all of us straight truck and T/T owners need to start a serious petition to get vans to be included on logging and scaling. :p

Why? because we can get away with running hard and you can't? Because we have so much LESS to worry and deal with compared to A S/T or semi? The only thing I agree with is for the van drivers that think they can haul alot of unsafe weight in their van.And after meeting alot of different drivers out here the last month, it is really scary how many dont have a clue as to what they can legally haul,or even their gvw.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

"I would rather give up my van than live my expediting life without freedoms" Xiggi 2010

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
And after meeting alot of different drivers out here the last month, it is really scary how many dont have a clue as to what they can legally haul,or even their gvw.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, but if you suggest they may be too stupid to drive a CMV, they get really offended...
Maybe Moot's right, just ban the van. ;) [I wouldn't wish logging on anyone.]

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Yes I do feel vans should have to follow the same rules as everyone else, Even log books. A driver is a driver no matter was size unit you drive.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
:)My friend since I posted went to a weigh station and they told him not to drive on their scales because he is not required to have log books and it messess up their scales, if they have to fool with him, then they have to inspect all cargo vans that have commerical tags and therefore all plummers and electricans, flourist, and on and on and it would cause backups, too many vans out there to fool with they said, plus vans are under 10,000 lbs. I think he ticked them off............

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
NO vehicle, private or commercial, is exempt from being pulled over at any time for a safety violation and or driving errors...

I got pulled over in Indiana as well for a Plate Light out.
Just a warning. I was not asked for log or BOL's just license and registration...

And just WHY does under 26,000 lbs not require a CDL again EH???

..I have a CDL!

AND that puts me one up on some of these straight truck drivers that don't even have a CDL...Hence they are not professional drivers....they can't even get into the drivers lounge at some truck stops with no CDL...

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"I would rather give up my van than live my expediting life without freedoms" Xiggi 2010

After meeting you I had a feeling you were a deep, profound kind of dude. The founding fathers would be proud of your desire to be free.

Ban the van!!!

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter

and........cars, Rv's, busses, motocycles, etc.:cool:

Now on to current!:eek:

As a driver in a van (with CDL) you are now covered under the CSA2010 laws and can & will be pulled over for inspections. At that point you will be under the same rules as Big trucks..so good luck to the van drivers/w CDl's!!
Also I do agree that ALL the vans need to log & scale same as big trucks

greg334

Veteran Expediter
NO guido, I feel it all has to do with safety more than anything else. I don't hear the wrecks or accidents with vans because there is a mentality in this country that they are the same as a car. Trucks are different and every accident is recorded and put into a database. It may be time that the FMCSA take a serious look at recording under 10k accidents to determine if things like fatigue or recklessness is a cause of accidents. Maybe all CMVs should have a CDL to operate them and they should scale and laws be enforced to make it safe for everyone.

Even here on EO, there was someone boasting about how many hours they were driving striaght through, would you like to be around that guy if he fell asleep at the wheel?

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I have found out that many couriier drivers companies dont have dot numbers for the very reason that no numbers on ur van eliminates a lot of problems and they do not put company names on their vans, so u will look like anyone else on the road.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I have found out that many couriier drivers companies dont have dot numbers for the very reason that no numbers on ur van eliminates a lot of problems and they do not put company names on their vans, so u will look like anyone else on the road.

That is how I do it and I am a independent. Not required to have a cdl so why waste the money on one. Not required to have any markings on the van and there are none on it. My van looks like any private window van going down the road right down to the passenger car plates on the back.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But the funny thing is many states are requiring vehicle for hire to get DOT numbers. They haven't enforced it yet but I can imagine if a cop with a chip pulls someone over what tickets they can write.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
But the funny thing is many states are requiring vehicle for hire to get DOT numbers. They haven't enforced it yet but I can imagine if a cop with a chip pulls someone over what tickets they can write.

DOT numbers are only for vehicles over 10,000# or ones that haul 9 to 15 passengers for money or hazmat. The states that may try to require DOT numbers would be only for vehicles registered in that state.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And the debate goes on...why? too many fingers in the pie!

Coast to coast, state to state commerce ALL vehicles should be required to register...We should regulated by the feds while on interstate hwys. Make it uniform across the board.