DOT Requirements for cargo van

hanoki

Active Expediter
I am getting ready to go to Panther Expedited as a van owner and was told it needed to pass a class 1 DOT Inspection. Have plywood on the floor with cargo restraints. I can only figure on a fire extinguisher and reflective triangles. Is there anything else that DOT requires?

Reactions: Desi6819

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You're getting into this business without first knowing what all is required?

The DOT doesn't require a thing from cargo vans unless they're placarded for HAZMAT. Cargo vans are not commercial motor vehicles unless placarded. The DOT vehicle inspection requirement is a requirement of Panther, not the DOT. Same with a DOT medical exam.

BTW, when you put the plywood on the floor, actually secure it to the floor with screws or bolts. Don't just lay there.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
A DOT inspection would require basic things like lights, brakes, suspension, tires, glass, defroster, horn, weather stripping, and mirrors to be working and in good shape. The safety devices would include fuses, triangles, and an extinguisher but I'm not sure they will get that in depth. I would call recruiting to find out exactly what you need and see if there is a specific requirement for the amount of straps you will need as well.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

hanoki

Active Expediter
Thank you for your responses I had already contacted a body equipment company for the flooring to be installed properly. I have sent Panther regarding what they are looking for in a van.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Take it to a truck stop or truck repair shop that does DOT inspections, just have them do a regular DOT inspection on it and make sure you get the sticker and form with it. I get mine done once a year and they are usually only $35.00. It is not required by law as Turtle started. I just do it for piece of mind. I also have a state safety inspection done every time I take the van in for maintenance or repair, that is if the state offers one. Just got a PA. state inspection this morning when I got a oil & lube job.

Some will say it is a waste of money, as some vanners have told me personally. But I like knowing the fact that my van is in tip-top shape and if I have a incident on the road I can show that the van has a ongoing safety inspection program along with a 5 year safety inspection history.

I also get my lazy a%^ out there and do a P.T.I at least once a day.

Better to be safe then sorry:eek:

Reactions: BIGTRAIN

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I agree. Most TAs and other truck repair shops don't work on vans, so many of them have a tendency to just olé the inspection. That's great if you need a "yes-man" to sign off on your inspection form, but not so much if you want the van to actually be thoroughly checked out for problems, both for safety and to prevent future repairs. I take mine to my own mechanic where he'll go over it in greater detail than someone else will. He'll let me know about stuff that's not even on the DOT list, and things that I should be prepared for down the road.

Reactions: RoadTime

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hanoki, here is a copy of the D.O.T. Vehicle Inspection Report Panther requires. Some of it does not pertain to cargo vans so just have the mechanic X out or put N/A in the areas that do not apply to cargo vans. This form can be found at any truck stop or you can p.m. me your e-mail address and I will try and forward this.

Attachments

• D.O.T. Vehicle Inspection Report.jpg
    D.O.T. Vehicle Inspection Report.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 89

Monty

Expert Expediter
Landstar has an inspection form for cargo vans. And it is required every 120 days.

While DOT does not require it, it sure is nice to have that shiny new sticker on there.

Oh, and they pay for the inspection also.

Tony Caruso

New Recruit
Safety & Compliance
Hi, we have Ram High top Cargo vans are Dividers required to separate the Driver from the material they have on board?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
BTW, when you put the plywood on the floor, actually secure it to the floor with screws or bolts. Don't just lay there.

Saddly, that was how my 1st van setup driving for a owner at Panther was.
Securment? What's that :rolleyes:

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Tony, Notwithstanding any of the DOT load securement requirements for commercial vehicles (not required for non-hazmat cargo vans) or any motor carrier or vehicle owner requirements, you should consider the worst case scenario which could occur while you are loaded. I'll give you an example of a loaded van I observed while I was a contractor in a cargo van. A fellow contractor had a 55 gallon drum sitting on a big truck mud flap. The drum had no form of securement other than gravity and the friction afforded by the mud flap. Consider the consequences of a hard turn, a panic stop, or a collision with or without a rollover. That drum could have gone through the windshield and taken the driver with it. The moral of my comments are, do not pretend to be a professional but act like one by complying with all of the safety requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and those of your owner and/or motor carrier. Stay safe. Terry

Reactions: Turtle