DOT questions.. Drybox to flatbed conversion.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I thought it over and decided the box replacement will be way to expensive for the year of the truck and I'm leaning toward building a flatbed / stake body style truck. within the budget I figured a strait forward no frills steel deck 24 - 26 foot flatbed around 5 grand materials and my free time. No alterations to the chassis or cab, not changing the G.V.W.
Maybe sell it to a farmer or hire it out.
Question..
What if anything do I have to do for D.O.T.
I know I will need to build in rear collision / under ride protection, headache rack, and have to keep it max 102 inches wide 40 feet length.
Only question I have about 102" width does that include the ratchets and anchors have to be in the math or can they be otside the 102" without being over width?

Anybody ever build their own flatbed and have design and build tips.

Thanks,
Bob Wolf

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess I missed the part where we hear why the present box needs replacing.
If selling it is an option, why not sell as is or as a cab and chassis ?
That may be interesting to more buyers than a flatbed.
I also think a professionally built used flatbed could be bought for less than $5,000.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Used boxs are plentiful the change over labor is less than you think and box cost is low too unless your like me and are way to particular ! I bet you can do a used box for under 4000 installed!

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
there is more money in flats vs the van the sliding winch rail is mounted on the underside of the trailer and the straps come up between the rub rail and frame of trailer. sliding winches.jpg

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I have a good used headache rack with built in tool box I would sell for $200 been sitting in the shed for over 5 yrs