Dot Inspections for cargo vans

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
for those of us who's carriers require this,i lost the place by my house that did them for 20$ now i need to find another shop to do this.I tried the scale house and they said they don't to vans.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Remember that the person who signs off on that is liable if there is an accident and it is something that is obviously a problem.

Outside of that, try T/A or your local tire shop where there is a trained, licensed mechanic who has the proper insurance.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
The truck stops by me won't do vans,but that was over 10 yrs ago last time i checked with them.The ford or chevy dealers don't have the forms,and if they did there gonna charge me an hour which around here [chicagoland] could be 108$ an hour.I do know of a place,that's 35$ but it's 200 miles away.I guess i'm looking for something in the 25$ range,my old shop if i had something done on the rack they would do it for free for me.Times change,time to roll with it.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
the ta in wadsworth will do a van. they did my '05 a couple years ago.

doesn't your carrier do dot inspections?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've had mine done at T/A because it's difficult to find anywhere to do them. I tried the local repair shops and dealers and they all wanted over $100 to do it. I tried the local Discount Tires and they said they had nobody that could do it. I've been charged $4x by T/A and some of them won't do vans. What T/A is doing it for $25? I really dislike having to pay so much twice a year for it. I'd like to use my state inspection for my window sticker for one of the required inspections and really think once a year is enough on vans anyway.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
With all you rich van owners out there, a $100 shouldn't be an issue.

Why do they do that twice a year with vans?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Every vehicle in the fleet has to be inspected twice a year.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I do it once a yr [panther] i can take 25$ if the T/A in Gary wil do it.They never use to do it but if they do it at one they generally stay uniform and do it across the board.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Fedex requires 2 inspections per year. Landstar requires 4 inspections per year. Landstar will pay for them if you do them at the specified time etc. though and if not then you pay.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
o yeah, lansing. couldn't place it right away. yeah gary would be real close. if not you know where you can go. does speedco offer dot inspections? yes greg 25 bucks at wadsworth il at least it was when i was there. fella was done in 20 min. said he would do it for free since it wasn't a lot of work but he had to be paid to sign his name.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
What I'm wondering is.........

Some here are in firm belief that their "CV" is NOT a Commercial Motor Vehicle as per FMSCA regs, but yet are required to have their CV "DOT Inspected" twice a year as per their Carrier requirement.

Why are they not taking the same argument they bring so strongly here to their carrier to try to save $50-$100 a year?

My "pickle/cricket" discussion for this thread. :D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's no point bringing it to the company. It's their policy. Right or wrong, modern or antiquated, nothing matters except what they put in the contract.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Whether your a Federally recognized CMV or not. When the Carrier your contracted to installs their name\logo, I'm sure they are concerned with the Liability issues. No inspection, how about no tail lights, brake lights, signal lights. How about no brakes at all. Whether someone runs into you or you into them there will be an Ambulance chaser near by to take the other parties side. For 33 1\3 of course:p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There are carriers which do not require CDL's for van drivers, but require a DOT physical just the same.

Twice a year is excessive, but it comes from vehicle breakdowns while under load, and requiring excessive inspections will reduced that, or so the thinking goes.

But DOT inspections for for cargo vans is actually a DOT thing. At least once a year all motor vehicles under the authority and control of a carrier must be inspected, be it trucks, vans, or company cars.
Part 396.17: Periodic inspection. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

(b) Except as provided in §396.23 and this paragraph, motor carriers must inspect or cause to be inspected all motor vehicles subject to their control.
(Motor Vehicle defined in Part 390.5: Definitions)

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I called the T/A in Gary and they said i'd have to come in betwwen 8am -noon to DOT a van.It's 49.99 if i could get the forms i get have my or any certifed mechanic do it,unless they need to be dot certified? i don't know.Last yr i had to get a new CPA this yr gotta find a new locall mechanic.I just wanted to share what i've learned,if i find a better deal i'll post it.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Bolt does the DOT inspection at their shop free, but you pay for your DOT doc phy.. Both are free at Load 1...:D

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
It was free at Panther,however the 330 mile dh into a area with 10-20 vans sitting around makes the 50.00$ a better bet.I still miss my free or 25$ and working on finding a local place to work with me.