Does Anyone Use a CB Radio Anymore?

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Maybe I am dating myself here, while indicating how long I have been off of the road... but seriously, it looks as though CB's are ancient tech. My wife got me one for Christmas, has all the bells and whistles, and I was hoping to mount it on our first truck....

I do know that the last time I listened in on a road trip, again, dating myself here, it was 1999, and there was a lot of trash talk. It seemed that there were many ugly people with access to a once great tool...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sure. Lots of people still use them. The language and bad manners is worse now than it's ever been. But with SiriusXM radio, many if not most drivers now tool down the road with the CB radio off and only turn it on when they find themselves in a backup and go, "What's the hold up?" which they'd already know if they'd been listening for the last hour. But I digress...

CB users these days are classified into one of two categories - old school users, and new-school abusers.

It's about a 50/50 proposition as to whether a particular trucker has his ears on. But it can be a very valuable thing to hear that your trailer tire is on fire, your straps have broken and you're about to lose your load, or you're leaking antifreeze or fuel.

I don't talk on mine all that much, but it's usually on, albeit turned down low or squelched down pretty hard. More than once I've gotten warnings of traffic stopped just ahead of me, but out of my line of sight, in the dark in the rain. It's still a valuable tool when you're looking for something specific, getting a headsup on bad weather or road conditions, how you should think about Hillary, Obama or Trump, and of course, the definitive interpretation of the FMCSA regs.

Seriously, while the smartphone and its apps have largely replaced what the CB used to be used for, Channel 9 and 19 for emergency communications can be a lifesaver.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I've got the new cobra led Ltd 29. It's been tuned and peak. It's always on and it works great for traffic backups. Also it works great for when a T/T rides your rear bumper. You can tell them what you think. Lol

Reactions: TeamPaul

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got one of those galaxy units before they disappeared at Pilot. Was great in the winter, had a couple warnings about trucks sliding backwards downhill I avoided...spilled an entire pot of coffee on it a couple years ago and I've been afraid to plug it in

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
The 29 I just received is the LED version with weather channels. I also have an older 29 with weather channel, but it might as well have a cup and string attached to it, as it will not reach out there anymore. I should probably have both tuned, and see which I like better. Use one in my Pathfinder, and the other for my prospective driving job...

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have the led 29 I absolutely love it an I also have an old 29 wish I had the reach of the old one on the new one

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
I'll break the seal on the box this evening and have a look at my LED 29... I will need to see who else in my area is talking or listening...

Reactions: ucfd608

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Have mine on the dash plugged in but rarely turned on anymore. Not like it used to be.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I have always carried one for traffic problems, heads up alerts, and the occasional use at a pickup or delivery.

Keeping it turned on but volume way low has been a timesaver many times to exit to an alternate route.

However using the CB for conversations resembles my posting habits on EO, not so much.:sunglasses:

Stay safe
KG

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
My wife got me one of those magnetized mounts with the whip antenna... not so sure I want that mounted to my paint job. Will look a little closer this weekend.

guido4475

Not a Member
Please keep in mind the importance of having the antenna tuned to the vehicle by having the SWR'S set. Not having this done can possibly mess up a good radio, but also will affect a radios performance to transmit and receive.

Reactions: phoenix827