Do you think DOT singles out straight trucks?

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
We got picked for another "random" level one DOT inspection today at a weight station in MS, this is the 2nd one this month! Funny how I watched the officer waive all the 18 wheelers through before he picked us. And...when we were done, guess what truck was picked next for inspection? You guessed it...another straight truck.

This was also the case when we had our inspection early this month. We were inspected right behind a Landstar straight truck. Our truck owner called and told us another one of her straight trucks was inspected at that same weigh station the very next day?!

Are straight trucks being singled out because they are easy to inspect? I know there is nothing I can do about it...but it just doesn't seem fair?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I have heard of at least one DOT officer saying that. Apparently they are required to do so many inspections a day, and they figure most expediters keep their trucks decent, plus a straight truck is a lot easier to inspect.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"The present is what slips by us while we're pondering the past and worrying about the future."

- Ziggy

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
I for one think they do target straight trucks.I had a dot officer in kentucky tell me its easier to dot a straight truck then a big truck so thats why they pulled me behind the scales.Then in Findlay,oh that north bound scale house always has straight trucks behind the scale.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
I feel quite sure for every straight truck they inspect they inspect 25 of us big trucks. they more than likely have a certian number of each class of trucks to inspect.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
Nah Lisa,

They only inspect shady looking drivers like...ummm well you know who I am talking about :p

They do not have a class breakdown, just x number of inspections. I talked to a DOT officer in ohio and he said that he can inspect 3 strait trucks and be done b4 he is done with a big rig.....for 2 reasons....no trailer of course and also fewer things he ends up writing up. He said you would also be surprised how many get pulled in because of huge sleepers too..........ummmm LISA.

-charlotte

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I talked to a D.O.T. officer in Ohio and she said that U.P.S. was buying Panther.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
was talking on the radio last night and a lot lizard came on and said she too heard that ups was buying out panther

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
COOL.....We all know if we hear from a lot lizard then it HAS to be true. Ya know if that rumor were true.....I cannot see a downside. We have been so busy this month that fleet drivers are making 2-3 k a week pay.....this freight is nice....to say the least.

-charlotte

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I don't know about any 'class system', but I know scales target straight trucks. I got pulled over at the Portland, TN scales. Being that it was almost 100 degrees out, he said that he did target me because of the heat. Took him 10 min to do the inspection. Another scale master in Ontario told me it was easier, so he used us when he could. Not only easier, but the trucks were taken care of better, compared to t/ts. I can understand the first one, due to heat. But the second makes me think what their job is... to get the bad trucks off the road. Tho I have no doubts they work on that when they aren't busy filling their quotas.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

I have never been inspected in a straight but in MO they always pull in the tractor.

it really dont bother me as I dont expedite to often so time is hardly an issue with me.
As far as roadside inspections how often do you see a straight pulled over. I never do except for the rental trucks.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As so many others have said, those attempting to contribute to the discussion that is, straight trucks do get inspected more because they are quicker and easier. My last time the officer had run out of stickers so I didn't get the "get out of jail free" sticker for my windshield. Now, on with our regularly scheduled thread.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In response to message #7

if ups is buying panther then why is fedrxcc doing ups loads
============================================================
Because all the Panther trucks are loaded

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I was pulled in for a Level 1 inspection in Kentucky and they had also ran out of stickers. I told the DOT guy that is was not fair!! He just laughed. Was really a nice guy though.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
It seems that everytime I would get the sticker on the windshield I would get a rock through it next.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
In 5 years of driving, we've only been DOT'd once....and we were in a straight truck that was less than a week old. Things that make ya go hmmmmmm

fortwayne

Not a Member
Well, from my viewpoint as a retired state trooper, I can assure you that they do not 'target' straight trucks. Now, on the other hand, they may take the easy way out and pull you in because they are quicker and much easier to do, but they do not target any class of trucks. Also, they do tend to single out companies, no matter what kind of truck you may be driving, and that comes from personal experience of how I use to do it. If I knew a company had a bad safety rating I would pull the truck over if he was side by side with a truck that had a good safety record. Pure and simple. Oh and by the way, the wisdom of a lot lizard.........well.....never mind.

Fort Wayne
Support P.E.T.A. (People Eating Tasty Animals)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I stopped at the J today in Ashtabula OH and the shower attendant was talking about UPS buying Panther and EO buying OOIDA.

fortwayne

Not a Member
WOW...........oh and then there's the story about........stop it, its' to tempting........

Fort Wayne
Support P.E.T.A. (People Eating Tasty Animals)