Do you read on the road? & Book Swapping

funsized

Seasoned Expediter
I love to read mindless romance novels. I enjoy letting my mind just shut down and read the silly stories. When I get by the house I grab 30+ paperback books to throw into the sidebox and read one when I can.

When we know we are going to a city that I know, I can call around to the library and most will let me do a swap of 20 books for 20 of their books. I have also found other panther drivers that read and have swapped books with them. I have also seen a couple drivers at truck stops reading at tables in the driver areas and did swaps.

I was wondering if anyone else reads and how do you swap books in and out, have you ever found other expediters to exchange books with?

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
The Speedco at Haw River, NC, has a book exchange shelf.
My mechanic's wife (who I've never met) has much the same taste in reading, so there are always books waiting for me and I drop some off. I give away books frequently because I restrict the number I have in the truck. Otherwise I'd have a problem carrying freight. I don't restrict myself to expediters when I find them new homes. Waitresses very often appreciate receiving a free book.
Goodwill and other thrift stores are great places to get books. Check out the Detroiter. They have used books for sale.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I never noticed the book exchange at Haw River, I'll have to look again :) H
Heck, the only reason to go to the Detroiter IS the book table!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've seen a book exchange in one or two other Speedcos as well but don't remember which ones now. I have a Kindle so I have a hundred or so books with me all the time. The new Nook by Barnes and Noble has a feature that allows you to "loan" books although it's limited. You can loan a specific book one time and it lasts for 2 weeks with whoever you loan it to and then returns to your device. Sort of cool anyway.

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
I read all the time, bought quite a few books at the Detroiter back in my SNC days cause the operating center was next door. Its closed now Ive heard. The OC, not the Detroiter. Anyway I read history, historical fiction, Science Fiction, Clancy and Dale Brown type stuff also King/Koontz.
Currently alternating between a Orson Scott Card short story collection and a historical fiction novel by (Father) Andrew Greeley called Irish Linen.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
there is a readers group under the community tab on this page. wanna join us? no fee for anyone who's last name starts with a letter from a to z. no salesman will call. all sales final. no reasonable offer refused. anyone can qualify. no job? no credit? no friends? apply now. you can become the next member. apply now. operators are standing by in 35 states and 19 provinces. offer not valid with coupon. competing advertisers coupons welcome. 75% discount to anyone who is breathing. can't come to the store? we will pick you up. be the first one on your block to obtain this amazing free offer.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
How about if everyone that gets to MATS meets up in Papa John's parking lot to swap books and movies? I know that I have some looking for new homes.
Hopefully the weather will be warm enough that we can sit out and barbecue. We have to build up strength for that health walk. :eek:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Hey Gotta Go that sounds like a great idea. We have tons of movies that I would be glad to trade out. Most of my books anymore are on my IPOD or my ereader so I have very few hard copy books.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Hey Gotta Go that sounds like a great idea. We have tons of movies that I would be glad to trade out. Most of my books anymore are on my IPOD or my ereader so I have very few hard copy books.
Maybe we can plan ahead to the Expo do the same there. :D

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
Gotta Go....Let me know when you'll be thru toledo next...I have a TON of books and Movies I can burn for you!!!

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Gotta Go....Let me know when you'll be thru toledo next...I have a TON of books and Movies I can burn for you!!!
AnneM aren't you going to be at the Expo this year? Bring them with you, we'll find them homes.
Of course, I also thought that the bottom shelf of the coffee table in the driver's room would make a good book exchange shelf. :D