Do you need permits with a cargo Van

mbc383

Expert Expediter
Hello:
When I was driving big rigs all the truck have to have permits for every state you drove through or work out of so far no one has said anything about the permits and taxes to let you have free travel through the states. There is no one writting about weight scales at D.O.T. scales could a D.O.T. person flag you to come to the scale house. If so what should I have to show, I also have not seen anything about logs no one said any thing about it at all. So what is it I am missing. Do any one keep logs for protection. Because I know guys have pick-ups who have been flaged by the D.O.T. at the scale and this was just a pick-up. I know when I drove big rigs the truck had stickers on doors with the D.O.T. permits numbers and the USA sticker for the year. So being a cargo van driver we are clear from that or it is watch out and duck help out on this Thanks From Linda and Micheal.....:D:eek::rolleyes:

jamespope

Not a Member
a cargo van under 10001 pounds is not a commercial vehicle. unless under placarded hazmat loads. so you don't need permits for anything and no weigh stations. some stupid cops will try to enforce laws that don't imply to cargo vans. once again. a cargo van is not a commercial vehicle. even if you have commercial tags you are still not a commercial vehicle. go fill out for MC number for cargo van. if not running hazmat loads you will not get a dot number. you are not a commercial vehicle under federal dot rules. pickup trucks are if they have trailers and are over 10001 pounds. see the difference?

mbc383

Expert Expediter
Thanks for that I feel better now. I can't wait until the expo I hope to see you there and thanks again..... from Linda and Micheal