Do i need Dot/mc/insurance

Newgame

New Recruit
Researching
I have a great little box truck that i would like to start expediting in. 2001 gmc savana 3500 cutaway van 14' box, with low loading height. (Old yellow penske moving truck) 10,000 GVW. Do i need a dot/mc # ? Or expensive insurance to get started?
(From what I've read)= If i need a mc #, then the insurance is around 12k a yr. Thats 1k per month, which would soak up around a weeks worth of pay every month. I already have business insurance (1 million) and commercial vehicle insurance that runs me $150 per month. Something seems off..? Little $ to work with here and trying to get started. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• box truck.jpg
    box truck.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The bigger your "Underrrr 10,o0o gvW" decals are the less of those pesky rulez you gotta follow.

I'd say the decals should be at least 36 inches high....maybe get some hats made up the same way.

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
1. Dually expedite trucks are horrible on fuel. Which will cut into profits. It's true they can be used to haul more weight however you are required to stay under 10,000 lbs. Some people overload such vehicles while operating under the premise of the under 10,000, but one time getting pulled into a scale, or pulled over by DOT(which they have been targeting expedite vehicles more), and you're in serious stuff.

2. Getting the necessary insurance and DOT numbers is just a small part of it. The other part of it is how you're going to obtain freight. Most brokers won't even look at you if you don't have a fleet and have been in business for years. Which is why most individuals who start a fleet and get into this business contract with a larger company. Unfortunately though, most if not all companies (including certain customers) require your vehicle be within 10 years old or newer. Which would be an issue if your vehicle is a 2001. Not to mention the retired yellow Penske Vans are like the red-headed stepchild of the expedite world. Very few companies will even consider such vehicles without them being painted to a respectable color.

My personal opinion, you do not have the necessary experience to succeed in this line of work at the moment. Notwithstanding that freight is garbage right now, but expedite can be a tricky business. It's a business that you have to learn to be successful.

Which is why I recommend you contract with a current owner operator as a driver for a minimum of 6 months to a year. That way you can learn the business, requirements, etc
While learning the best places to get freight.

Reactions: RedBird