DNR Proposal: Restructuring Licenses,Applications, Permits.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I usually don't have a problem with fees going up as it doesn't happen often. But after a fast read thru I seen allot of money going toward making my shopping experience for a license a better experince..(Marketing & Outreach) $244,400 is alot of money that should go elsewhere right now.
http://michigan.gov/documents/dnr/Outcomes_411655_7.pdf

Not sure I ever had a hard/bad time shopping for a licence, It allready is a preety simply process to do..Right now Im thinking the retailers will benefit from this and the money could be used elsewhere. Land purchuse,,Habit improvement,,etc etc..The money could go to any number of other places. Will read thru it again later.
DNR - Licenses, Applications & Permits

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Retailers lose money on the selling of a license. It can tie up one, or more, employees for substantial amounts of time during peak buying times. It's tough, but I have no solution. This is above my pay bracket to be sure.

Too bad Michigan in general is SO BAD about who funds, or does not fund, conservation projects. Last time I checked Michigan was near the bottom of the list on non-license buyer funding of conservation work. In other words, those who hunt, fish and trap in Michigan are paying the vast majority of the costs, and everyone else does NOTHING! THEN, to make it worse, they have a say on what goes on and continue to restrict our sports. If they go far enough we will be just like Europe, NO conservation work being done, no wildlife left to speak of. City people, for the most part, don't have the sense of a dead frog.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
For sure I don't know what the retailers make per license but I know when I go in to buy my tags I end up spending much more on other items. Even if they make a $ per sale its a dollar more then they had 2 min ago plus added sales and thats why most do it. Sometimes a retailer has to do what is needed to draw ya in.
Not in anyway against the increases, its just at this point in time i don't see a need for money to go into marketing when it could be used for better objectives.
Now if your buying your license at K-mart or like retailer I can see why it ties up a employee for more then 20 mins. Lack of training. The process isn't that long or that difficult to do.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
NO conservation work being done, no wildlife left to speak of. City people, for the most part, don't have the sense of a dead frog.

Important part for them is they got their bicycle path right where I use to shoot rabbits. And more then likely some of our DNR money helped pave the way..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Important part for them is they got their bicycle path right where I use to shoot rabbits. And more then likely some of our DNR money helped pave the way..

Yeah, and the snowmobile trails right through the middle of state hunting lands. Lest we forget, snowmobilers tend to run a LOT in JAN, FEB and MARCH, when food sources for deer are at their lowest. They often cause deer to run, a lot, an uneeded expenditure of energy, at a time when it cannot be easily replaced. That contributes to starvation and weaken of fawns of that season.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
As a semi-retired snowmobiler Ill Kinda agree with ya..We can/did disrupt the woods. But at the same time the trail system has had some benefit to the herd when the snow pack use to get heavy. It allowed movement of the herd allowing them into new browsing areas and escape routes.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As a semi-retired snowmobiler Ill Kinda agree with ya..We can/did disrupt the woods. But at the same time the trail system has had some benefit to the herd when the snow pack use to get heavy. It allowed movement of the herd allowing them into new browsing areas and escape routes.

It did that. It just bugged the snot out of me when they gutting 9 square miles of prime deer woods for snowmobile and ATV trails. Even pushed a trail through was at one time, till that trail went through, 8 square miles of pristine cedar swamp. That swamp started just a the edge of the 9 squares they cut up. Ruined it. Deer left. No more grouse. Woodcock no longer go through there. Sad to see. Used to hunt snowshoe rabbits there too. All gone.

Last edited: