DIY - Baking Soda Shampoo

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
My hair is short and still when I think of how much I spend a year for shampoo I am not thrilled.

I enjoy learning about using natural products and through Pinterest I learned about using baking soda to make my shampoo. I have oily hair and I was concerned about how clean my hair would be using baking soda. My hair does not feel oily and it seems as if it stays cleaner longer.

My first mistake was purchasing the wrong kind of bottle to hold my shampoo and rinse. My shower bag often lies on its side and the bottles leaked and there went all of my cheap shampoo all over the floor.

Baking Soda Shampoo:
1 part baking soda
3 parts water

Thats it! Now I put this mixture in a old shampoo bottle and it has not spilled all over the floor.

Vinegar Rinse:
1 part white or apple cider vinegar
4 parts water
I have started using essential oils and I use a few drops of lavender oil in this mixture to tone down the smell of the vinegar.

This web site talks more about the use of this shampoo and some of the ingredients in the store bought shampoo that made me rethink buying the store product.

MindBodyGreen

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When my better half was co-driving she discovered No Rinse Shampoo. It contains water but no further rinse is required. It is made by N/R Labroatories and is Available at Sally Beauty Supply. It cost 6 or 7 bucks about 5 years ago. With short hair a bottle last a couple of months.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I have actually done the baking soda thing on my hair. I used it for a few months last summer. My hair was always soft and didnt smell like vinegar when rinsed properly. Simce then I have started using a different product since I have curly hair and no longer want to flat iron it.

This photo is from last summer while I was using the baking soda/vinegar wash.
Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368633880761.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368633880761.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 17