Differential Lubricant

jhamlin

Seasoned Expediter
I'm planning to change gear oil on my 2007 Sprinter, but can't seem to find the specified lubricant on the internet, ie., "Shell Spirax MB 90" or "MOPAR # 05136033AA" - as called for in my owners manual. Suppliers like Autozone can't get it either. I would go ahead and just use Spirax /80/90, but not sure if that's the correct stuff for a limited-slip differential. Any thoughts/recemmendations? Not wanting to ignore maintenance schedules, and if it's someting I can do myself, I'm all for it.
:confused:
Jim

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It usually says right on the bottle if you need to use the additive for a limited slip.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
You don't need to change differental lube. Only thing you need to do is make sure your not losing any due to rear axle seals. Heard a mechanic on some talk show talking about it and he said if some mechanic suggests it find a new mechanic. Said it is just a rip off.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
You don't need to change differental lube. Only thing you need to do is make sure your not losing any due to rear axle seals. Heard a mechanic on some talk show talking about it and he said if some mechanic suggests it find a new mechanic. Said it is just a rip off.

I never change it in my vans and I never had any problems...

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter
you wont find the fluid you want in the auto part stores, only the dealer has it, i just changed mine and i looked all over for it, it was over $15 a quart at the dealer so i looked on ebay and someone had the right part number and bought it for $4 a quart, there is some different numbers that are obselete, so call the the dealer and get the newest number and search it also, mine is an 07 and it does not use any additives in it

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
I had rear axle seals replaced around 400,000 plus, so why that was being done I had him take some fluid out and put in a qt. of lucas.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
give brian at bnd 440-821-9040 has right oil for you
i use it in all my sprinters

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
my freightliner has 980000 miles on original synthetic gear lube.Had oil checked and it was still fine.To bad the motor wasnt as good.Just sold truck with cracked head,$7000,