Differences Between FL70 and FL80

G

Anybody know what the differences are between an FL70 and an FL80? What was the difference in the original sticker price for a similarly equipped FL70 vs. an FL80?

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
I always thought the FL80 was a twin screw. But, that was shattered when I spoted a few that where not.

Not sure what the differance is. More options perhaps? Class 8 drive train?

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I was told the FL80 was supposed to be a class 8 chassis. I've parked next to one with my FL70 and I can't find much difference if any. Anyway they cost more. maybe that's the difference.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The only difference in a FL 80 vs a FL 70 is a higher axle weight,other then that they are identical.

G

Different axle weights? I thought both trucks has GVWRs of 33,000 lbs--21,000 on the rear axle and 12,000 on the front. Does the FL70 have lower axle ratings than these and if so does that mean that the GVWR for the FL70 is less than 33,000 lbs?

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter
I own a FL80. Wait let me re-phrase that. The finance company owns a FL80 that I lease.
This FL80 has a 35,000 lb gvwr, although with a single axel it can only scale out at 33,000 lbs. per state laws, of the states that I run in. I don't believe there are any states that allow a single axel straight truck to exceed 33,000 lbs.
It also has a raised roof condo sleeper, meaning you can stand up in the cab portion of the truck, without hitting your head, and walk into the sleeper area without bending over or crawling through a hole, unless you are over 7 ft 3" tall. I haven't seen a FL70 with a raised roof condo, however, they may be out there.
The front axel is rated at 12,000 lbs. and the rear (a 4.56) is rated at 23,000 lbs. It does me absolutely no good without a tag axel but It can handle whatever weight the law will allow the shipper to throw at me.

I may stand corrected on any or all of my statements, but only by someone who actually knows more than I do, which in some cases may be just about anyone.

"I'm not much, but I'm all they've got".

G

Wait another second, does that mean that all of those FL-70s out there don't have air ride cabs?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Most but not all have a air-ride chassis. Air-ride cabs are usually alumi-bunk with regards to FL70's.

Davekc

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
just my two cents worth but from my information the difference is in the frame, the fl80 has a little thicker [ which makes it more rigid ] frame that was the only difference i could find when i researched before i bought my fl70

G

I know the FL80 has rear shocks. Do the FL70s have rear shocks?

Perhaps the FL80 has a larger radiator than the FL70. That's about all I can think of other than what has already been mentioned, because I know the engine, transmission, gvwr, and most other things do not differ based upon whether the truck is an FL70 or FL80.

There seem to be many more FL70s out there than FL80s, but I don't know what conclusion to draw from that.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I think I posted this before, not sure. I have one of each. I have driven both at one time or another. The raised roof is not right. They have identical everything as far as I could find.

There is an axle rating difference as mentioned above.

I once asked FYDA Freightliner sales people here in Sharonville and no one could tell me the difference. In defence, they were all younger, newer sales people. I did ask Freightliner Frank. I bet he could give me clear answer.

The biggest difference for me is that I still drive the FL80 and someone else is driving and paying for my FL70. Ha! I kill me. It is true though.

Raceman
OTR O/O

G

SO I guess the only difference for sure is in the model number.:)