Dick Trickle dies

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was it a self-inflicted gunshot wound or possibly a self injected dose of penicillin?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Was it a self-inflicted gunshot wound or possibly a self injected dose of penicillin?

Nothing funny in suicide...apparently you never have dealt with it...because if you have...you would not be making a stupid un funny attempt at a joke....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nothing funny in suicide...apparently you never have dealt with it...because if you have...you would not be making a stupid un funny attempt at a joke....
Is that right? Some people take life just a bit too serious and others don't. I'm in the latter category. Maybe if Mr. Trickle eased up a little he'd still be alive.

I just got back from a 4 day fishing trip in Northern Minnesota with some friends. We caught and ate a bunch of walleye, drank some beer, solved several local and world problems, joked, reminisced, verbally abused each other and had a wonderful time.

Saturday morning it was about 45° and raining. We drifted by a bunch of boats that were anchored. There were 3 guys fishing from one of the anchored boats. They wore matching jackets that were imprinted with some fishing team name and their fancy boat also was emblazoned with their team name. 3 very serious dudes, not looking very happy, taking a laid back recreational activity way too far. This is fishing, not some job!

We made a few drifts by these guys and picked up fish just about every pass. We were laughing, joking around and dishing out the verbal abuse to each other and catching fish. They weren't catching anything and certainly didn't appear to be enjoying themselves or the show we were putting on.

My point is don't take life too seriously. Try and find a little humor in eveyrthing because before long we're all going to be just as dead as Dick Trickle.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Is that right? Some people take life just a bit too serious and others don't. I'm in the latter category. Maybe if Mr. Trickle eased up a little he'd still be alive.

I just got back from a 4 day fishing trip in Northern Minnesota with some friends. We caught and ate a bunch of walleye, drank some beer, solved several local and world problems, joked, reminisced, verbally abused each other and had a wonderful time.

Saturday morning it was about 45° and raining. We drifted by a bunch of boats that were anchored. There were 3 guys fishing from one of the anchored boats. They wore matching jackets that were imprinted with some fishing team name and their fancy boat also was emblazoned with their team name. 3 very serious dudes, not looking very happy, taking a laid back recreational activity way too far. This is fishing, not some job!

We made a few drifts by these guys and picked up fish just about every pass. We were laughing, joking around and dishing out the verbal abuse to each other and catching fish. They weren't catching anything and certainly didn't appear to be enjoying themselves or the show we were putting on.

My point is don't take life too seriously. Try and find a little humor in eveyrthing because before long we're all going to be just as dead as Dick Trickle.

Well good for you... but if you have never dealt with a suicide ..I guess you wouldn't understand..

Last edited:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well good for you... but if you have never dealt with a suicide ..I guess you wouldn't understand..

It's hard to distance yourself from that situation when you've had to deal with it, but with comedy you can't pick and choose what offends you based on those experiences.
The ironic thing is that in his death just as in his life, Dick Trickle was only known for his giggle inducing name (a few diehard nascar fans not withstanding)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The guy that was best man at my wedding ate a gun barrel a few years ago. He was a guy that could have you laughing your rear off one day, then have you wanting to cuss him out and slap him the next. While it saddened me deeply, I wasn't really shocked. I always had a fear the demons would win.

Great post Moot!!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

So i guess its ok to start breaking out the jokes about the tornado victims? In all honestly i consider your comparison rather bizarre in itself and really nothing more than reaching for an excuse for a severe lack of respect in this instance.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But I have dealt with suicide. What I don't understand though, is what is it exactly that you think I don't understand. My comment wasn't actually about his suicide, but rather about his name and what penicillin cures.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So i guess its ok to start breaking out the jokes about the tornado victims?
That's up to you. You certainly don't need my "ok". Did you catch my reply to skyraider "Where is Peter Jennings?" Peter Jennings is dead. I hope I didn't offend you.

In all honestly i consider your comparison rather bizarre in itself and really nothing more than reaching for an excuse for a severe lack of respect in this instance.
"...rather bizarre in itself...) Can you explain why you feel my comparison is rather bizarre? Who am I showing a lack of respect towards, Dick Trickle, suicide victims, assjsl, you, syphilis patients, dead people?

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot , I actually got it. ...the Joke i mean. ..not the shot. ...lol....on EO there is always someone trying to start an arguement ....welcome new members ......lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Moot , I actually got it. ...the Joke i mean. ..not the shot. ...lol....on EO there is always someone trying to start an arguement ....welcome new members ......lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

Of course YOU would understand BAD humor....again there is not 1 thing funny about suicide.. and if you find that funny.. that speaks volumes of your character..

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So i guess its ok to start breaking out the jokes about the tornado victims?
Sure, why not? Humor is a great defense mechanism for dealing with tragedy and things that happen where there is no sense or reason for it. If one can find humor in something to help them get through it, there's nothing wrong with that.

Moot's post was funny. And yes, I have dealt with a suicide. More than one of them. Dick Trickle's life was practically defined by the humor in his name, a humor that he embraced. Why should his death be any different? It's fitting that he went out with a bang. His funeral procession will make left turns around the block for 4 or 5 hours before the service. His headstone will be sponsored by Flomax. I could go on, but I don't want to be viewed as someone reaching for an excuse for a severe lack of respect, especially when nothing could be further from the truth.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's up to you. You certainly don't need my "ok". Did you catch my reply to skyraider "Where is Peter Jennings?" Peter Jennings is dead. I hope I didn't offend you.

"...rather bizarre in itself...) Can you explain why you feel my comparison is rather bizarre? Who am I showing a lack of respect towards, Dick Trickle, suicide victims, assjsl, you, syphilis patients, dead people?

Honestly my opinion is only time. A week or two after the fact i probably would have laughed.

Comparing your fishing trip to suicide as humor is bizarre again in my.opinion. It simply shows a lack of respect in general.

We all slide something past our personal filters at times. I think you did this time. Using discretion in what we say is part of being an adult.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Of course YOU would understand BAD humor....again there is not 1 thing funny about suicide.. and if you find that funny.. that speaks volumes of your character..
Two blondes were in a bar watching the television when the news came on. It showed a guy on a bridge that was about to jump, obviously suicidal.

"I'll bet you $10 he'll jump," said Betty.

"Bet you $10 he won't," replied Amber.

Then, the guy on the television closed his eyes and threw himself off the bridge. The second blonde hands the first her money.

"I can't take your money," said Betty. "I cheated you. The same story was on the five o'clock news."

"No, no. Take it," said Amber. "I saw the five o'clock news, too. I just didn't think the guy was dumb enough to jump again!"

Humor, even about suicide, AIDs, tornado victims, whatever, is purely a trivial thing, certainly not something to get all bent out of shape about.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Two blondes were in a bar watching the television when the news came on. It showed a guy on a bridge that was about to jump, obviously suicidal.

"I'll bet you $10 he'll jump," said Betty.

"Bet you $10 he won't," replied Amber.

Then, the guy on the television closed his eyes and threw himself off the bridge. The second blonde hands the first her money.

"I can't take your money," said Betty. "I cheated you. The same story was on the five o'clock news."

"No, no. Take it," said Amber. "I saw the five o'clock news, too. I just didn't think the guy was dumb enough to jump again!"

Humor, even about suicide, AIDs, tornado victims, whatever, is purely a trivial thing, certainly not something to get all bent out of shape about.

**chirp**chirp**chirp**