Diabetic Friendly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This is flourless bread.
Not even close.

Like yogurt, granola, hummus, goji berries and gluten-free everything, sprouted-grain is the new "it" food. It's not hard to find sprouted-grain breads, pastas, cereals, even tortilla chips.

Perhaps a quick review of botany is in order. What we think of as "grains" "rice, wheat, corn, oats, barley) are actually the mature, dormant seeds of cereal grasses. Just like any other seed, under the right conditions of temperature and moisture, they can germinate into young plants and start a new life cycle. It's just like growing pea shoots in Dixie cups lined with moist paper towels when you were in kindergarten. This is exactly what wheatgrass and barley grass are: the young grasses of fully-sprouted wheat and barley grains that have not yet matured enough to form grains of their own. Like grains, beans and seeds can also be sprouted, and you may notice a few sprouted lentils, beans, or pumpkin seeds at the grocery store.

There is a brief period in the life cycle of a grain or seed, right after it has just started to sprout, but before it has developed into a plant, when it's considered to be a "sprouted grain." The outer bran layer will have split open, and the early beginnings of a young shoot is peeking out of the grain. In this stage, some of the starchy portion of the grain will have been digested by the young shoot to fuel its awakening. It is this change in state that results in the observed nutritional difference between sprouted and conventional (ungerminated) grains, most notably less carbs and more protein than can be found in unsprouted grain.

White bread is made by removing the wheat kernel's germ and bran (where the nutrients are), grinding up only the endosperm into flour.

Whole wheat bread is made by grinding wheat kernels into whole-wheat flour. Whole wheat provides fiber, and naturally occurring vitamins and proteins.

Sprouted-grain bread is made from wheat kernels that have been sprouted, grounded and baked into bread. This process retains more of the nutrients.

So whether the grain is sprouted or unsprouted, it's still milled into flour.

For a one-slice 34g (1.2 ounce) portion:

Plain ol' very-bad-for-you white bread has 80 calories and 14.7g carbs (and virtually no fiber), and 2.7g protein.

The Ezekiel 4:9[SUP]®[/SUP] Sprouted Grain Bread has 80 calories and 12g carbs (15g - 3g dietary fiber) and 4g protein.

I'm not so sure that 12g bread is any more particularly diabetic friendly than regular white bread.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"I'm not so sure that 12g bread is any more particularly diabetic friendly than regular white bread."

From what my nutritionist tells me, bread is bread.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"I'm not so sure that 12g bread is any more particularly diabetic friendly than regular white bread."

From what my nutritionist tells me, bread is bread.
Yeah, if it's made with flour it's bread. If it's not made with flour, it's something, but it ain't bread.

If you're looking for substitutes for foods, you're probably better off just not eating those foods, and eat real food for food.

Not that sprouted grain foods aren't healthy. They are. And they're delicious. They're a whole grain bread (which is what you want to eat if you're goig to eat bread) that has slightly more protein and slightly fewer carbs. I wouldn't pay a premium for sprouted grains, though.

One of my little hobby horses is light mayonnaise. It's a white goopy thing that looks like, and sorta tastes like mayonnaise, but it ain't mayonnaise. I ask people why they use light mayo, and they say "It's healthier." When I ask them why it's healthier, their answer is invariably one of marketing mind manipulation, or common sense. "Because they say so," or "It has to be, it has less fat!"

Honest to goodness real mayonnaise is made with olive oil, egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, seasonings (black pepper, a pinch of salt, sugar if you like, maybe a dash of dry mustard. You can add garlic and it becomes Aioli, which is nothing more than garlic flavored mayonnaise)). That's it. You can make it yourself in way under 10 minutes if you are handy with a whisk or have a stick hand blender. It'll last 4-7 days in he fridge.

The egg (lecithin) is the emulsifier. The Standard of Identity law requires all commercially available "real mayonnaise" (bought in a jar at the store) use only egg as the emulsifier. The law doesn't require that for reduced-fat or light mayonnaise, because it's not mayonnaise.

If you buy jarred mayonnaise, which can last up to 6 months in the fridge, get the real stuff. Here's why:

Hellman's
Real Mayonnaise

Soybean oil, water, whole eggs and egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar, lemon juice, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA (used to protect quality).

Hellman's Light Mayonnaise
Water, soybean oil, vinegar, modified corn starch, whole eggs and egg yolks, sugar, salt, xanthan gum, lemon and lime peel fibers (thickeners), sorbic acid, calcium disodium EDTA (used to protect quality), lemon juice concentrate, phosphoric acid, DL alpha tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), natural flavors, beta carotene.

I prefer olive oil to soybean oil, because olive oil is healthy and soybean oil is not as healthy, but a little oil and cholesterol (egg) isn't going to kill you. It's natural and healthy. I'm not so sure I can say the same thing about modified food starch, xanthan gum, citrus peel fibers, sorbic acid and the other stuff used to make it thick instead of just mixing the oil and vinegar with an egg yolk. Clearly, the Hellman's Real Mayonnaise is going to be healthier for you than the Light stuff.

You should see the ingredients for the "light mayonnaise" they offer you at Subway. Trust me, you're better off getting the real mayo.

Standard disclaimer: use caution in consuming raw and lightly cooked eggs due to the (VERY SLIGHT) risk of salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, use only fresh, properly refrigerated, clean grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell. Or, buy your eggs directly from a local farmer where the eggs haven't been dredged through a river of chicken poop and thus require washing and being chemically treated to prevent chicken poop salmonella from permeating the shell, thus requiring refrigeration which slows the permeation. (did you know that in England and most of Europe they simply collect clean eggs from the chickens in the first place, keep them clean, and then put them in the store unrefrigerated? They've never had a salmonella outbreak from eggs.)