DHPL Pay taken away

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
It cost me $160 to learn something new today.
Three weeks ago I delivered on a Saturday in Mayport, FL. I was given a planned layover of Atlanta. Since it was the weekend and I only live 100 miles away I went home and out of service for a week.
Once back in service at home I received a load opportunity and accepted. The opp included DHPL pay.
On my settlement there was a deduction for the DHPL pay (layover to ATL but did not go)
I talked to accounting and dispatch about this. I was told if I did not go to the planned layover to ask dispatch to remove the DHPL pay from the load opp before accepting the load. Otherwise it will be taken back on the settlement.

jamom123

Expert Expediter
Wow! that's the first i've heard of that happening. Just goes to show i guess we have to really pay attention to every little detail.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
That rule was always in effect at least for B units. I very rarely even get a layover plan which saves Fedex money every time I deliver.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was under the impression there was no dhpl anymore just dhpu. That aside, looking at both sides it's understandable they don't want to pay 334 miles when you only went 100 miles. Also, they were paying that based on a presumed need for capacity in that area at that time, not a week later. That said, it would have been nice to get 100 miles worth of dhpl if they're still paying it but I'm not sure about with taking a week off either. I can see both sides on any dhpl prior to taking time off.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If I had know that the DHPL would be deducted after running the load I would not have agreed to do it or asked for more money. When talking with dispatch about this load I mapped it on my computer. I calculated from my home to pick up to delivery and gave them a total dollar amount I was willing to run for. They agreed. Then on my settlement the deduction for DHPL appeared.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
That happened to me two Januaries ago in an owner's truck.

We delivered Orlando and were offered Savannah Ga as a layover option. I didn't like Orlando ( many trucks there) or Savannah (too far to go on a fishing expedition )

I consulted the owner, he pays fuel, and was told to do whatever I wanted.

I went to Jacksonville and was the only truck there.

The next morning the owner insisted we go to Savannah.
Enroute I got a HM load . I never got to Savannah. Owner called. Didn't like the load. Insisted I demand that Fedex pay us to Savannah when we never even got close.

FedEx laughed at me. I laughed too.

It got heated with the owner. He told me I was a moron.
He got his truck back after a proper notice. Cleaner than it was when I got it.
My new truck was weeks from being ready. I took a three week vacation and was ready to hit it hard from day one.

If you don't go, you don't get paid.

I get pizzed when it says no layover option.
This confuses me.
Why am I mad ?
If I switch carriers the new place offers no layover option 100% of the time.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I understand not getting paid if you don't go. But if you don't go DHPL should not be included in the load opp.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Exactly. And I'm sorry. An offer is an offer.
If they offer it wrong, they should pay it.

They don't understand that these little $160 deals go through your head time after time in a 12 hour shift.

It will cost them more than $160 sometime in the future.
It's just human nature.

I work hard to not dwell on this stuff. I'm much happier than when I did.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
My reason for the post was to inform others. I like to know all the rules.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Now I'm confused. I understood it as follows. You ran a job and made the delivery. After the delivery they said we think your best option is A, in this case Atlanta and your next best is B Wherever or you can choose C somewhere else of your choice with no pay for going there or choose D going home with no pay for going there either. Then some number of days later you get your next job. The dhpl to Atlanta is not included because you didn't go to Atlanta.

Now I'm getting the impression it was something different which isn't how I understand dhpl. If that's the case then maybe it shouldn't have been rescinded.