Detroit Diesel 8.5L 320HP (Good or bad motor)

garman351

Expert Expediter
Hi everyone, I hope your day has been a pleasant one.

I need your help please.
We are looking at buying a good used straight truck and we are looking at a Freightliner FL106 with 405K miles on it. It has a
lot of miles but has a 10 speed eaten fuller trans and I was told the Detroit Diesel is a very good motor. "Wet sleeve"

I figure with the 10 speed trans it should have less wear & tare than a 6 speed etc.

Am I taking a big risk looking at buying a 2003 truck with that many miles on it?

Can anybody advise us on this. I cannot justify buying a 110K new truck being the way the aconomy is right now.

I would think asking for the engine oil to be analized is not a bad idea. Also request service records.

What do you guy's think.

Thanks
Garman

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Besides getting copies of all service records and an oil analysis I'd require a dyno to be done. Be sure someone you know/trust follows behind while you drive it city/highway so they can watch for leaning, crabbing, etc. as it's driven and if they're a CDL holder then take turns driving/following. I'd also ask for a warranty at a significantly discounted rate. Lastly, I'd be sure the dealer was reputable with virtually all positive comments to be found. If the seller is an individual I'd still want them to provide oil analysis and dyno and perhaps split the cost of a used vehicle warranty if a dealer could provide one. I'm sure others will add more good suggestions I haven't thought of but that will hopefully get you started. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would also ask for an ECM dump to make sure of mileage and hours beside any flagged problems. For some reason this is overlooked.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
A print out of the saved data (miles/hours/idle time/ect)from the Engine Control Module, as well as the settable parameters (PTO RPM/max road speed/max cruise speed/etc).

Rex

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Thanks, Rex.

Would you mind teaming with me so I can pick your brain about engine maintenance and repairs...lol

Thanks

John

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
The truck has a very good odometer for the year not really high or low. I could be alot more excited about the truck if the actual owner drove and not a bunch of different operators.

Everyones suggestions here are right on, any Detroit Diesel location can provide you with the info suggested here. Good luck.

garman351

Expert Expediter
(All you guy's are awsome)

I still have no idea if a Detroit Diesel is a good motor or not?
Also is this 8.5L motor a big truck motor?

I have heard somebody mention they are hard to get parts for?

10 Speed trans that should greatly reduce wear on the motor & trans I would think.

Can anybody help me on this part of my search, "please."

Garman

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
I know a trucker 40 plus yrs o/o prefers Detroit Dsl.
Internet site search[google detroit diesel 8.5 liter.
Engine made off Merceres Benz. series 50, 250 to 320 hp
Sounds like medium duty. No idea on milage or hour life of engine.
Sure experienced members will help out. Would prefer this above Cat.
Hope it helps:+ Sincerely Tom Tinker
G.R. Mi.:) ;)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Detroit diesels are actually made down the street from me. Yea they also make MB engines there and some parts for the sterling.

The 8.5 is the series 50 4 cylinder engine and no longer produced. I know of three people who have these engines and they are good engines (have only heard turbo problems with on) but not as good as the series 60 (which is a 6 cylinder engine). Parts are not hard to get, but a number of dealers don’t stock a lot of the parts because they were used in a lot of buses and fire engines (one person who has a series 50 is a private responder with a fire truck). Otherwise it is a good engine as most truck engines go.

The thing is a series 60 engine would be the thing to get if you go the DD route, still in production, proven engine, etc.. and I heard that you can retro fit for the 2007 emission standards (but have not confirmed it), but if the truck has a 50 in it, what can I say.