Detriot Diesel Problem

mvrock

Expert Expediter
Hello I hope someone maybe able to help. Just purchased a used 2000 Hyduia Bering LD15 with a Detroit diesel,Allanson transmission and a 14 ft Hackney service body. The problem is that it's a bear to start, when it's cold it just will not go, now I have replaced the relays, and all the glow plugs, no difference. When it finally starts it blows tons of smoke but runs ok and will start later( after warmed up) without problem. It seems to use a lot of diesel fuel when it does run. I heard that Bering left the country, so it's tough to get parts and trouble shooting info. I would be grateful if anyone can help. Thanks, great forum

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
While Bering has left the country Detroit Diesel is certainly a active company. Look around for a independent shop that is a authorized DD dealer.Probably could do a web search and find a DD Dealer in your location..

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Rich is correct as there are dealers out there. Based on your post, it sounds like your intake heater or preheat needs to be replaced or repaired. Everything from the fuse to the unit should be checked.
That should solve your problem.
Pretty typical problem but not a high dollar repair.
Good luck

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

mvrock

Expert Expediter
The problem I have is we are on an Island so to take the truck to the diesel shop would be a costly event. I have a local mechanic who works on our trucks, he's a pretty decent diesel mechanic, the problem is available Detriot diesel 638 parts, even an air filter for this rig is a pain to locate, or findng a reliable parts company.Thanks Guys for your advice.:)