Denver CO, must be worse then Laredo.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Averaging 1 Cargo Van load every 5 days, its been 5 business days and have not seen a good load offer. Have the rest of the week to try and make a departure. Guess its a hit or miss kind of a place, will wait out the rest of the week. Luckily I live here :) Have heard that LA is the only place out west that had a lot of freight. On a positive note, Kansas City is always a options to take Empty Move there.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't always bet on KC being good...a fair bit goes there, but as one guy explained to me once, it's a lot of expedited loads for assembly plants (the largest assembly plant in the world is in KC) but not a lot coming back out except complete vehicles. I've been to KC several times in the last few months and only once did I get back out the same day. All other times took several days or I relocated on my own dime.

Your carrier may be different, of course. As you'll find here in the locations threads, some have no luck at all in certain cities, others have little to no problem in that same city. Nashville is a good example.

Good luck out here...

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been stuck in Denver at least 3-4 times. I have never gotten a CV load out of there. I always relocated after a couple of days. I wish you better luck then I've had there. I would call dispatch and ask for a recommendation as to where they felt was your best chance of getting a load.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks! 21c What Carrier are you with?
I'm with Panther but have been expediting since 2010 off and on with small companies. I signed up with them recently because they do a good bit of western loads "they say they do at least" The daily average is much higher in KC then here in Denver. Only thing we have going for us here in Denver is little to no competition with other drivers and central western location.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been stuck in Denver at least 3-4 times. I have never gotten a CV load out of there. I always relocated after a couple of days. I wish you better luck then I've had there. I would call dispatch and ask for a recommendation as to where they felt was your best chance of getting a load.

oh man! that's no good to hear :confused: I had a big load last Tuesday going to Nashville but they canceled it because I was 45 min behind schedule (deadheading into New Mexico) and I ended up having to turn around in Pueblo CO to go home. What city did you relocate to?? Only option closest seems to be Topeka KS or Salt Lake perhaps.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I went from Milwaukee to Las Vegas, then to SLC, took load from SLC to Denver. That's how I got stuck in Denver. It took 2 days to get load out on SLC to Denver. Got tired of Denver in 2 days and just went home. Except for the load to Vegas, it was a bad week. But, Denver and SLC both are bad for me. Don't know what to tell you. I'll be coming through Denver tomorrow afternoon on my way to New Mexico. I'll wave as I pass thru. Sorry, that was mean.

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
There are lots of forwarders in Denver, and lots of hot shot companies, (I know, I work for one of them) That's probably a good portion of why there aren't many loads coming out. I always feel sorry for the CV's I see sitting at the hook on the east side of town here, usually at least one or 3 there. I saw a poor guy from A. Blair sit there for a week before he moved out, don't know if he got a load or DH'd out though. The hook has decent fuel prices though, so I'm there a few times a week, and there never fails to be at least one CV in the lot.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Averaging 1 Cargo Van load every 5 days, its been 5 business days and have not seen a good load offer. Have the rest of the week to try and make a departure. Guess its a hit or miss kind of a place, will wait out the rest of the week. Luckily I live here :) Have heard that LA is the only place out west that had a lot of freight. On a positive note, Kansas City is always a options to take Empty Move there.

Why did you wait 5 days in DEnver?You should know Denver is a dead area.You stay one day,rest and late afternoon go somewhere else.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I went once to Denver just to visit my son, after I delivered in western Nebraska. That was Saturday, and Monday morning I got load to Houston...

Sent from my SCH-M828C using EO Forums

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Denver is more of a TT or Straight truck area and it's hit or miss for them. It's what I call an end of the month state. If I'm there the last week of the month (much like Laredo) I'll look around, if not I'm out of there after a nap.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
The August/September issue of Land Line magazine had an interesting article on load boards , that might be a useful starting point in finding information.

jimmy

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are lots of forwarders in Denver, and lots of hot shot companies, (I know, I work for one of them) That's probably a good portion of why there aren't many loads coming out. I always feel sorry for the CV's I see sitting at the hook on the east side of town here, usually at least one or 3 there. I saw a poor guy from A. Blair sit there for a week before he moved out, don't know if he got a load or DH'd out though. The hook has decent fuel prices though, so I'm there a few times a week, and there never fails to be at least one CV in the lot.

They all seem to be located on this site. American Courier being one of the larger ones. What/where is the hook, must be a code name for a truck stop? :)

Denver Courier Service

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Thanks! 21c What Carrier are you with?
I'm with Panther but have been expediting since 2010 off and on with small companies. I signed up with them recently because they do a good bit of western loads "they say they do at least" The daily average is much higher in KC then here in Denver. Only thing we have going for us here in Denver is little to no competition with other drivers and central western location.

Is the daily average much better because your carrier (or most carriers for that matter) have far more equipment in the KC area? KC might be better or worse, but if you only look at loads and not capacity I don't think you are getting much of a complete picture. That is the problem with carriers that have that program to give one side of the data. Data is only good if you can quantify it and measure it.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks everyone for the advice... KC is pulling one plus cargo van load a day. Denver is averaging 1 per week. I've been waiting here for a load for the last 13 days. I turned down a a load to Billings yesterday. I heard it's not a good area to go. Deadheading a little or doing a empty move works but deadheading 560 miles back to Denver or the 840 into Minneapolis just doesn't seem worth it. Anyone else been in this situation? I just lost my board position (to the #2 spot) so it's looking like I gotta take a empty move. They want me in KC.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Thanks everyone for the advice... KC is pulling one cargo van load a day. Denver is averaging 1 per week. I've been waiting here for a load for the last 13 days. I turned down a a load to Billings yesterday. I heard it's not a good area to go. Deadheading a little or doing a empty move works but deadheading 560 miles back to Denver or the 840 into Minneapolis just doesn't seem worth it. Anyone else been in this situation? I just lost my board position (to the #2 spot) so it's looking like I gotta take a empty move. They want me in KC.
No way Im sitting anywhere for 13 days. Just pick a spot and go, it cant be any worse. I would go to El Paso, but your company may have better luck out of KC.

When Im stuck in bfe like you are, I look at it like this: I can sit around hoping and praying for a load tonight or I can put it in the wind and be in a known freight lane by tomorrow.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I'm curious why he would lease to a carrier that can't load him out of the house ?
I didn't catch the "at home" part. I have a feeling though that its a long shot to get out of Denver with anybody...in a cv.

At least he is at home and not spending money on the road.