deicer in a straight truck air lines ?

idtrans

Expert Expediter
How can I get deicer fluid into the air lines of a straight truck ? I know how to in a tractor but not sure in a straight truck .

Thanks

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Drain the air from the system first. Uncouple the line down stream of the air dryer, if you have one, or after the compressor and add an airline anti-freeze such as Airgard or Tanners Gas.

Is your air system frozen?

moose

Veteran Expediter
There's only 2 rezones ,that i know of, you'll ever needs to use it .
bad air dryer , or a bad air compressor gasket .

at any case ,this is only the symptom, and once rolling it will be the best to address the real cause of the problem.

all aircompressors have an inlet ,that will be the place to funnel in the liquid .
in the Bendix aircompressor ,it will be in the front and back of the head. simply disconnect the hose coming from the airdryer ,and fill it a bit at a time.
(be very careful ,it can suck your hand in and start a black hole)

or you can try the AirHorns - that's why they have a cone shape...

i carry a bottle in winter time. but that's just because i do a trailer D&H occasionally, and if one of the previous trucks have a bad gasket or air dryer, i won't have breaks ...

a good test to see if this is a bad gasket or a bad air drier, is simply looking under the air pressure release valve.
if it's leaves an oily mass - this is the gasket .

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the reply the system is fine I was just curious because after so many years in a semi and every winter adding the liquid to the air lines every time it was super cold I figured that the air brakes on the straight truck would need a protectant also to keep from freezing. the air system from I can see so far is working fine building and holding air properly.

I did hit the dump valve to let out any moisture and it spit a little out only so that is a good sign.

Thanks allot again everyone.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Just for an education, is it necessary to put deicer in your brake lines in cold weather? I was under the assumption, you only used if your lines did freeze up. I have never had a problem in a straight teuck, but see semi drivers using it in trailer lines. I was just curious.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Just for an education, is it necessary to put deicer in your brake lines in cold weather? I was under the assumption, you only used if your lines did freeze up. I have never had a problem in a straight teuck, but see semi drivers using it in trailer lines. I was just curious.

The trailer brakes and lines can freeze. The main time I would use it when dropping and hooking in cold weather. The tractor was not usually the problem the darn frozen up trailers were for me at least.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
The trailer brakes and lines can freeze. The main time I would use it when dropping and hooking in cold weather. The tractor was not usually the problem the darn frozen up trailers were for me at least.

That is what I was thinking. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
If you are running a straight truck, about the only way your lines will freeze is if your dryer is in need of service or like the other post the gaskets is leaking. Sometimes when truckers park for several days in cold weather and don't run their trucks, moisture will build up from temperature change and condensation. In that case always drain your air tanks before you leave your truck. More than likely you have a primary and secondary air tank. Drain both. They make and automatic pressure release for the tank but sometimes they freeze up.
If its a newer model truck you are getting the air for the air compressor from the boost side of the turbo not outside. This is a better form because it keeps the moisture down compared with the older models who are fed air from the outside.
Again service your dryer, check the gasket and drain the tanks. You can take a portable torch and melt the ice in the tank and then drain them.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of the main reasons for trailer freeze ups is driver neglect. Lazy drivers hook to a trailer for a day or three and then drop it somewhere never draining the air tanks. Leaving the problem for someone else. This goes for flat tires, cracked wheels, missing lug nuts, sprung doors, etc, etc, etc.

The worst trailers for frozen airlines that I have had to deal with are rail pigs. These trailers would bounce around the south and then end up in Minnesota when the temperature was -25. You wouldn't believe the thick gray snot that would come out of the air tanks after applying heat with a torch.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
One of the main reasons for trailer freeze ups is driver neglect. Lazy drivers hook to a trailer for a day or three and then drop it somewhere never draining the air tanks. Leaving the problem for someone else. This goes for flat tires, cracked wheels, missing lug nuts, sprung doors, etc, etc, etc.

The worst trailers for frozen airlines that I have had to deal with are rail pigs. These trailers would bounce around the south and then end up in Minnesota when the temperature was -25. You wouldn't believe the thick gray snot that would come out of the air tanks after applying heat with a torch.

Exactly that is what I had the most issues with were the container trailers. They would sit in crappy rail yards and heck sometimes frozen to the ground and hard to get under. or even better the frames with wheels at the bottom of dollies and you try to get under and trailer rolls wow genius design there.

But my favorite were always the cracked wheels or broken welds on the frame.

I pulled the containers from peoria to chicago 5 days a week for 3 years I learned how to back up real good also with that job.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Well I am taking the truck in for a air service today was first day I drove the truck I drove it to my house in peoria from rockford she drove great just needs front tires but something is for sure wrong in the air system she is building air all the time. Every 2 miles I hear the shoosh sound and that is not correct LOL. MAybe just a service maybe a broken part but no matter what I am having it fixed professionally at a service center.

The truck is a 2000 fl70 , 3126 cat, allison auto tranny

moose

Veteran Expediter
there's one more rezone .
a short class in chemistry:
the amount of moister being 'trapped' in the air depends on the air pressure ,and temp.
that's why we have clouds .

for the very nature of 'dropping a trailer', we 'evacuate' the air from within the trailers air lines .
there for allowing regular 'moisturized' air to sneak inside .
once we 'hook' back to the trailer ,we pressurized the lines .
by doing so, we force moister to be dispense from the air.
and when it gets cold enough .the airlines freezes .

this is not the case in a straight truck ,as the lines are being 'fed' from after the airdryer at all times.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Every 2 miles I hear the shoosh sound and that is not correct LOL. MAybe just a service maybe a broken part but no matter what I am having it fixed professionally at a service center.

Service?

Doubt it.

It sounds like you may have an air leak, how does it do just sitting there with the engine off and the parking brake set?

How about with the engine off and the parking brake released?

The Governor may need replacing but doubtful ($20 worth the parts in most cases and 20 minutes).

OR it may be your treadle valve which in that case, I see $400 in parts and another $600 in labor.

Here is a novel idea - learn how the system works and fix it yourself. This way you will know when something is wrong and when it is working right.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Service?

Doubt it.

It sounds like you may have an air leak, how does it do just sitting there with the engine off and the parking brake set?

How about with the engine off and the parking brake released?

The Governor may need replacing but doubtful ($20 worth the parts in most cases and 20 minutes).

OR it may be your treadle valve which in that case, I see $400 in parts and another $600 in labor.

Here is a novel idea - learn how the system works and fix it yourself. This way you will know when something is wrong and when it is working right.

It looses the air while it sits. I am going to search around for a leak on friday when it gets warmer to 32 degrees outside. My friend said maybe a brake can is leaking or a line. He is going to help me out work on it. he is good with diesels. If we can't find the problem then I will take it to a dealer to get fixed.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You have to use a synthetic lube, it costs about $22 a tube.

Go to the bendix site and download all the manuals for the parts you have. It will tell you a lot. Can't type any more, bad keboars