Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clots)

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
My short lived life over the road was cut short by a kidney stone, which took two weeks and two procedures to get extracted. Just shortly after being initially diagnosed with the stone, I was having a little pain in my lower calf muscles. The pain felt kind of like the aftermath of a "charlie horse" You know, when the calf muscle tightens up so that it feels like a small baseball knot in the muscle... one of the few pains that make me whimper like a puppy. The calf muscles were sore for a few days.

Little did I know these were warning signs that I was developing blood clots in the deep veins of my legs. Fast forward two weeks, or 3-days after my second kidney stone procedure, and I found myself short of breath. A simple walk from the bedroom to the kitchen, and I was breathing like I had run 100 yards. My daughter rushed me to the emergency room whereby they used a MRI to detect multiple blood clots in the lungs. I spent the evening in the hospital, where they administered my first dose of blood thinner, and started me on oxygen treatments. Deep Vein Thrombosis was the diagnosis, a serious condition that affects people who have sedentary lifestyles.

I stayed on oxygen for 6-weeks, and I am currently still on a blood thinner, which I will come off of in another 3-weeks. I was at risk of DVT's because I was heavy set (300+ lbs), and I kept "the left door closed" and drove nearly 11-hours straight. I did not adjust my seat correctly comfort, and I did not keep my feet moving... DVT's are a serious health issue, and can be very deadly. I did not take the threat seriously until I googled Deep Vein Thrombosis, or blood clots in the lungs, and saw that 75% of the images on google are autopsy photos!!

Run hard and die hard. Learn what to look for, or better yet, take prevent measures. Since my episode, I have lost 45lbs, and walk daily, and when I come back to the road, I will make the healthy changes that will keep me from ever contracting this condition again.

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Without realizing it, I may have implemented some sort of plant based dieting. For the most part, I refrain from dieting, and instead refer to the changes I have made as lifestyle changes. I found for me, that it was not so much what I eat, but how, when and why I eat. Yes, my diet has altered, but for all of the right reasons. I have 50+ years of bad habits to over throw, and the battle has been hard. I am winning, and will continue to win as my health improves. I have set some tough goals for myself, each an improvement over the other, the final of which is hitting my goal weight. By that time I will have figured out how to maintain said goal weight. This months goal is to drop into the 260's, so that I can get a proper measurement for a tux to attend my nephews wedding in. I have not yet narrowed down next months goals, but dropping just into the 250's would sure be sweet!

As of today I am sitting at 277.2 lbs, down 47.8 lbs since February. That registers a starting BMI of 45.3 and right now my BMI is 38.7!!

Reactions: RoadTime

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Today I meet with my hematologist to see if I will finally get to come off of the blood thinner. Clots have long since dissolved, and the blood thinner has stayed in place to prevent future clots. Since I have taken charge of my health, and lost 52.4lbs, I hope to come off the thinners today.

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
As of today, I am down 70lbs. I have slowed a bit because of holiday eating, but am back on track again.

pkj2C3b.jpg

95PVbdc.jpg

Reactions: RoadTime and Ragman

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Watch Forks over Knives on Netflix or youtube when you can......500.000 + die from heart disease each year //// insane..