Decisions, Decisions

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being President of the United States certainly doesn't make someone a flawless human being. People are human, and they all make mistakes—even if they are the leader of the free world......

You can make mistakes, too. Remember the load opportunities that we talked about the other day? Maybe you chose to go ahead and accept one, thinking it wouldn't be that big of a deal. And maybe you've had a few regrets ever since. And maybe you're even ready to toss your whole business right out the window because of this one/two stupid mistakes.......

But slow down a second and take a deep breath. Now's the perfect opportunity to exercise your presidential power, CEO power and ditch the extreme reactions once and for all. Is it disappointing? Maybe. Is it the end of the word? Not even close!...:)

Even if you accepted 3 bad loads, it still doesn't discount all of the good things you've done and all of the important lessons you've learned, right here on EO. And it certainly isn't worth washing any progress you might have made right down the drain.
It may be time to reflect on the questionable decisions you've made. But you should be nowhere near ready to give up.

Just like other people in power can make mistakes, you're entitled to make a few, too. But it's how you handle those mistakes that defines the kind of business person you are.

Have a great day....:)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can make mistakes, too. Remember the load opportunities that we talked about the other day? Maybe you chose to go ahead and accept one, thinking it wouldn't be that big of a deal. And maybe you've had a few regrets ever since. :)

Yeah... I accepted a load with 4 stops in the northeast. 2 today, 2 tomorrow. It's 29 degrees and raining as I type this. I love my job.

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
Here was my 3 load offers today! First I'm on a .70 contract then a structured fsc . First load at 5 am pick up 50 miles away at a rr at .65 a mile going to canton ms 455 miles. My thoughts was I would have to deadhead to Memphis or Birmingham for a load so at a reduced rate I said no. Next pick up 69 miles away to deliver in between Chattanooga and atl 180 miles. So another no money maker no. Next pick up 90 miles away to deliver 80 miles but I had to sit on it all night with layover pay I figured all in pay would have been around 145 fuel would have been 45 so I'd made 100 and also said no. Bad choices I don't know ,did I make em mad sure I did. But it's a business not a friendship

Last edited:

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Just like other people in power can make mistakes, you're entitled to make a few, too. But it's how you handle those mistakes that defines the kind of business person you are.

To reach OVM as a motivational speaker for your next meeting or Bar Mitzvah you can find him living in a van down by the river. :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here was my 3 load offers today! First I'm on a .70 contract then a structured fsc . First load at 5 am pick up 50 miles away at a rr at .65 a mile going to canton ms 455 miles. My thoughts was I would have to deadhead to Memphis or Birmingham for a load so at a reduced rate I said no. Next pick up 69 miles away to deliver in between Chattanooga and atl 180 miles. So another no money maker no. Next pick up 90 miles away to deliver 80 miles but I had to sit on it all night with layover pay I figured all in pay would have been around 145 fuel would have been 45 so I'd made 100 and also said no. Bad choices I don't know ,did I make em mad sure I did. But it's a business not a friendship

You are lucky to be with a cold, uncaring carrier..makes turning crappy loads down easy...and keeps it business only....
At "some" carriers it is too easy to get to know dispatch almost on a friendly level and every once and awhile they'll take a load they shouldn't because dispatch is stuck with it...kinda like a favor, instead of a solid business decision...I think "some" carriers actually play off this scenerio...

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
When we make bad choices the only one we have to blame is ourselves. That the part I like and dislike. Lol. We just have to accept it and go on. Dont let it cause a conflict with your psychy. It was just a bad choice and you will most likely make more. We made one just lastnite. Regretting it this morning but I am rested. We had an early pick yesterday and one thing led to another and we both were up all day, therefore not ready for a call for a load and direct delivery. Just to tired cause we were not prepared. Result, turned it down but I wished I had not.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When we make bad choices the only one we have to blame is ourselves. That the part I like and dislike. Lol. We just have to accept it and go on. Dont let it cause a conflict with your psychy. It was just a bad choice and you will most likely make more. We made one just lastnite. Regretting it this morning but I am rested. We had an early pick yesterday and one thing led to another and we both were up all day, therefore not ready for a call for a load and direct delivery. Just to tired cause we were not prepared. Result, turned it down but I wished I had not.

The old expression...hindsight is 20/20....and the old... ifa, woulda, coulda, shoulda kicks in...LOL

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yep, thats rite. It is what it is. Sensible decision today may be a regrettable one in the morning. Thats why I never gripe about sitting. Why you ask , cause I control what I do and dispatch cant crap freight. If they could I would supply tp forever. Lol

nestor7

Seasoned Expediter
Got a run from Mi to Va, that was 8 days ago. Only 1 run since and now am in MA. It would be nice just to get a crappy load at this point. At least standing still, I don't have to make many business decisions...unless I want my deadhead to exceed my paid miles.

guido4475

Not a Member
Being President of the United States certainly doesn't make someone a flawless human being. People are human, and they all make mistakes—even if they are the leader of the free world......

You can make mistakes, too. Remember the load opportunities that we talked about the other day? Maybe you chose to go ahead and accept one, thinking it wouldn't be that big of a deal. And maybe you've had a few regrets ever since. And maybe you're even ready to toss your whole business right out the window because of this one/two stupid mistakes.......

But slow down a second and take a deep breath. Now's the perfect opportunity to exercise your presidential power, CEO power and ditch the extreme reactions once and for all. Is it disappointing? Maybe. Is it the end of the word? Not even close!...:)

Even if you accepted 3 bad loads, it still doesn't discount all of the good things you've done and all of the important lessons you've learned, right here on EO. And it certainly isn't worth washing any progress you might have made right down the drain.
It may be time to reflect on the questionable decisions you've made. But you should be nowhere near ready to give up.

Are you trying to compete with Jerry Springer and his "Final Thought?".......:)