Death Road

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Today I watched a program on the History International channel called the Death Road. This is a 90 mile road in Bolivia that goes from a sea level town called Arica to the capitol of Bolivia ,La Paz which is 15,000 feet up. It is mainly a dirt trail that has buses, 10 wheelers, cars etc. If you get a chance to see this don't miss it. It makes the ice road look like a kindergarden trail.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Now that's one steep grade. I did the math and that would mean an average climb or descend of 166 feet per mile. Or at least that's steep imo.

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
I've seen a show on the "death road"! Thats NUTS!! Thats one road you couldn't pay me enough to drive on...no way!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yep the road has 14% grades on it and it is very narrow. Volunteers stand in the worst areas with red and green signs to warn approaching vehicles to either stop or go. No guard rails so as a result lots of deaths from vehicles going off the side. it was one scarey road.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Fantastic!

A driving challenge... yay!

I'd love the opportunity to run that road with our own equipment. Sleeper not necessary, no place to pull over. Haha.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Yeah I caught it at some point last year ..... totally insane !

I'd have a hard time driving it with myself at the wheel .... let alone trusting someone else .... alot of people down there don't have any other choice tho' I guess.