Deadly Storms in Arkansas

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another system is setting up for later this evening....Keep your eyes alert and head down...

by weather.com

Arkansas is under a state of emergency this morning after deadly storms rolled through the state Monday night.

Several people are dead and others are still missing in central Arkansas. Arkansas Department of Emergency Management spokesman Tommy Jackson says four people died Monday in the town of Vilonia, where an apparent tornado ripped through the area. As of late Monday, the fire chief said as many as 60 people were still missing. The search for survivors will resume Tuesday.

Dr. Greg Forbes, the Weather Channel's severe weather expert, detected the debris ball from the storm for 28 miles on radar.

In northwest Arkansas, emergency officials say a man and a woman died after floodwaters swept their car off the road in Madison County and another woman died after her car was swept off the road in Washington County. That woman's 11-year-old son survived.

An official from the Little Rock Air Force base in Jacksonville, Ark., says at least four houses were damaged from Monday night's storms but no one on the base was injured.

Base spokesman Bob Oldham said Monday that crews are going door-to-door to make sure everyone on the base is accounted for.

Oldham said crews also were assessing if there was any damage to any of the base's aircrafts. He said the task has become more difficult because the lights that usually illuminate the flight line are out so the crew is using flashlights.

Oldham said the base has several downed trees and some building debris.

The severe weather trapped people in their cars and homes in Pearcy, Ark.

More than 72,000 customers had lost power by Monday night.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Heading across LA on I-10, running right into what looks like some nasty "stuff"..weather map shows high winds and severe storm warnings until around Baton Rouge...right now as i pass thru Welsh, it is real windy and lightening all around...no rain yet, and no blue skies anywhere....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Heading across LA on I-10, running right into what looks like some nasty "stuff"..weather map shows high winds and severe storm warnings until around Baton Rouge...right now as i pass thru Welsh, it is real windy and lightening all around...no rain yet, and no blue skies anywhere....
That town that got wiped out is 20 miles north of the Petro E161 on I 40...where Guido was parked...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
We had a rip-roaring time here at home last night. Trees and power lines are down all over. Power is out to a large percentage of the county. Trees closed roads for a while, damaged houses and vehicles and several businesses, and have closed schools, including Murray State University. 100 MPH straight-line winds. It was fun.

MANIAC

Seasoned Expediter
We are home in Ft. Smith lotsa rain 8 inches so far! Luckily no tornadoes! I have my water wings on!:eek:

Monty

Expert Expediter
According to the weather channel, the area from around Dallas/ Texarkana, northeast through Memphis is rated at 90% to have major tornados today, (Tuesday), with the danger extending as far north as Detroit.

If you are in the mid section of the country ... keep looking up, and keep your head down!

This storm system will still be very active tomorrow, (Wednesday), so the fun/danger continues!

guido4475

Not a Member
According to the weather channel, the area from around Dallas/ Texarkana, northeast through Memphis is rated at 90% to have major tornados today, (Tuesday), with the danger extending as far north as Detroit.

If you are in the mid section of the country ... keep looking up, and keep your head down!

This storm system will still be very active tomorrow, (Wednesday), so the fun/danger continues!

And of course, where do I relocate to? ....Friggin Memphis!!! Go figure!!

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And of course, where do I relocate to? ....Friggin Memphis!!! Go figure!!

Well, must be following you. Batten down your hatches, bout 1 hour you will be rocking and rolling...One on the ground in Forest City headed northeast....

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
Lovely I just picked up brand new trailer on my way to Tupelo ms.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
As reported on the news tonight .So far in April there has been 601 tornados.The record use to be 267. This will give you an idea how turbulent a month this has been.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As reported on the news tonight .So far in April there has been 601 tornados.The record use to be 267. This will give you an idea how turbulent a month this has been.

West Tenn had 18 different tornado warinings going off at the same time last night. This covered AR, MS, and TN. Another round coming in soon! By tonight it should be over. Flooding of the Mississippi river is going on now as well north of Memphis.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Man, every day it's tornado warning sirens, several times a day lately. I feel like I'm living in WWII London.

Yesterday afternoon we had a weird one. Storm rolled through, wall cloud tried its best to form a funnel, but dropped a snotload of quarter-sized hail at the University and the stadium, and dime-dized hail on downtown. I live three blocks from downtown and five blocks from the University, and we got nothing at the house. Not a drop of rain, not one piece of hail, but we could see it falling a couple of blocks away.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
And now the flooding. The floods are close to record levels now and more to come.

This could get really, really bad. Glad I live on a hill....just hope it's tall enough?

guido4475

Not a Member
At this time, the Flying J in West Memphis is the only place with electric so far..Waiting for the weather to get east of
nashville before heading towards there...Then I should be in the clear.Hitting Jackson, Tn right now, the bad weather..Alot of red on the map.