Deadhead Miles - For all Recruiters

PeachyPoo

Expert Expediter
Ok, I have been going through all the information that I have been complying from the different companies. Each company has a different way of paying deadhead miles. On the average what is the percentage of deadhead miles weekly? Is there an industry average?

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Peachy Poo,
Good question. Industry wide, and I think the other recruiters will back me on this one, deadhead is around 30%. With most of the larger expediting companies, there will be some deadhead involved either going to the next load or going to a better place for outbound freight. Some of the smaller companies may have more deadhead because it is more one way freight, but they may pay you more on the loaded mile.

Hope this helps,

ABC

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
PeachyPoo;
You need to not only look at DeadHead pay, percentages or miles, BUT also layover time. Many of the "larger" carriers can promote lower deadhead percentages but never mention the 1, 2 or 3 day layovers in their "slow" areas.
Many advertise DeadHead pay but neglect to mention that it is only paid after the first 50, 100 or 150 miles free. Many will also deadhead trucks short distances to avoid the additional pay.
Do your homework by speaking with drivers (at least 5 or 6) from the carriers you are interested in. Just food for thought.
Thanks,
JM/HotFr8Recruiter
:D

PeachyPoo

Expert Expediter
Oh, I have made my calls, and have talked to the companies. I was trying to sit down and compair apples to apples, and there really isn't a way to do that with the pay this for loaded, and this for empty. With the way that I am looking at it, if I am making 1.53 a loaded mile, with the unpaid deadhead, I am really not making that at all. I am eating part of the deadhead. So far I have found three companies that pay the same for loaded and empty. I am starting to talk to the drivers, but even that can be confusing. Some of the drivers just aren't happy unless they are complaining, and will talk negitive about the companies. That or you will hear second hand information. Guess the old saying "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all" doesn't apply.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think it would help to mention to the new folks that their percentage of deadhead will be higher in their beginning stages. Unless you are on a dedicated lane, it takes a while to learn were a carrier's account base and freight lanes are located.
This is all heavily related to experience with your particular carrier, thus eliminating wait times of several days.