Dash cams

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've pretty much decided to get one, but my head is swimming from reading details & user comments - mostly 4 wheelers.
Anyone have advice on brands, features, installation? I don't want all the bells & whistles, but not the el cheapo version, either - midrange would be about right, I think. [But if I knew, I wouldn't be asking, lol] Thanks, if you can help.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I've pretty much decided to get one, but my head is swimming from reading details & user comments - mostly 4 wheelers.
Anyone have advice on brands, features, installation? I don't want all the bells & whistles, but not the el cheapo version, either - midrange would be about right, I think. [But if I knew, I wouldn't be asking, lol] Thanks, if you can help.

I'd look into a dash cam pointing out, one pointing in, another cam above the passenger's door pointing at you, and one above you pointing at the passenger's door. Have it all available at the touch of a button, and streamed back to a recorder via internet.

But that's just me. ;)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Go Pro if you want to invest that much.

I'm sure you could do it with a little research... kinda like home security. Dash cam is fine... but what are you going to do when you meet up with a cop who, opposite of what we were taught, is not your friend? His word against your word ends up being gold, when your word has video and voice for the jury.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I'm also thinking of getting one....the one I'm considering mounts on the windshield and also has a
wired remote camera that can be placed just about anywhere in the cab....I'm thinking of placing the remote camera to the lower corner of the windshield in front of the drivers seat....I think this would be a good place to record a texter if they happen to cut in front of me plus it might pick up the fender mounted mirror for a look towards the rear of the truck.

this camera with a memory card (32mb) purchased separately is a whopping $70 from Amazon.

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Might want to try the Black Box Dual from Blue Tiger, mid range price with two cameras, and everything you need to set it up.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm also thinking of getting one....the one I'm considering mounts on the windshield and also has a
wired remote camera that can be placed just about anywhere in the cab....I'm thinking of placing the remote camera to the lower corner of the windshield in front of the drivers seat....I think this would be a good place to record a texter if they happen to cut in front of me plus it might pick up the fender mounted mirror for a look towards the rear of the truck.

this camera with a memory card (32mb) purchased separately is a whopping $70 from Amazon.

Um, what brand is it?
I like the second camera, placing it where the blind side might prevent me from seeing what happens out of my field of vision.
What all is involved in installation?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Just remember that if you are at fault in an accident your own camera can be used against you. I use mine when parked in case I ever have another truck hit and run.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What I would do is one forward and two at the drivers position. One would be facing the left mirror, and one facing the right, and possibly a rear mounted view behind the truck. That way when you have an incident you can show the view that you have a realistic drivers view from the seat and that the other driver was a douche bag and insisted on staying in your blind spot, drafting, or driving like an asz.

Bob Wolf

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just remember that if you are at fault in an accident your own camera can be used against you. I use mine when parked in case I ever have another truck hit and run.

If I'm at fault, not having a camera won't get me off, either, so I may as well protect myself against what I can't control: other drivers.
The hit & run aspect hadn't even occurred to me, but it's a good idea - thanks.
Do insurance carriers offer discounts for using them?

NightDriver

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've seriously thought about using one or more onboard cams to capture four-wheeler drivers who are on the phone texting, browsing, or otherwise phone-occupied. Whether the images would end up at a shaming website or in the hands of authorities, I'm still considering. And the morons who abruptly cut off trucks would be caught, too. Frankly, I've had it with being surrounded by stupid, self-centered car drivers who endanger everyone else on the road, while I'm being over-regulated by the Feds and castigated by the media and public.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Those 'shaming' sites don't seem to be having much effect: most days, every 3rd driver I see is doing something [texting? looking at movie/restaurant reviews? updating facebook?] with their phone. They may be 'smart' phones, but they're in the hands of some dumb people.
Worse is how the car manufacturers enable such idiocy, by adding even more screen real estate to new car models. But they can't add proper signage to their manufacturing facilities, so truck drivers can find the proper entry point? SMH.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I hate looking stupid at new deliveries not having a clue which one of 300 docks to go to and worse is dock doors with the numbers painted on them and they are all open!!! I just finished dropping at 3 North American lighting buildings in Indiana the worst lit dock areas I've ever seen! Imagine that a lighting company with black lots and little signage! "Here's your sign"

Last edited:

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Im looking at the Garmin dash cam. its a whopping $219. But as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
I have a fairly cheap DB4 from dieselboss.com, have only had a few months but it seems adequate and their support is very good.

TS

What Neon

Rookie Expediter
Hello,

I may be able to shed some light here. My company installs hundreds of dash cams a year for 5 different vendors. I will say only what is fact and try to keep my opinion out of it.

Janus cams have a high failure rate.

Motor gaurdian cam has encrypted recordings so if it was your fault you dont have to share the footage. Best IR. And option for a 3rd cam external or internal. 2 sd cards 1 in dash for back up incase dash cam gets stolen.

Road force has great features.

Mobileye will overlay canbus dsta.

Tapatalk Yo. NOTE II