Damn... Another damn noob!

RepoRider

New Recruit
Driver
US Army
Hey everyone, just joined the forum as I am looking for a new career path. I am a CDL-A holder currently employed driving a non-cdl 25,999 24' International flatbed for the last 10 years for the same employer. I am looking for a change of scenery. In my mind and heart, I feel as if expedited trucking may be the perfect fit for me.

I was taking a look at expedited shipping as a solo driver, but it seems that teams are encouraged more in this field (straight truck companies). Am I mistaken about this? I have really only been looking for a couple weeks now.

Reactions: TeamPaul

RepoRider

New Recruit
Driver
US Army
Generally speaking... Time sensitive loads, smaller in size, requiring less then a T/T to haul. I'm really looking at hotshot or straight truck.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Teams are preferred because the truck isn't limited by miles or hours. That's not to say the truck will be running 24/7, as there will often be times where you sit 1-3 days between loads. Not as often with a straight truck team as with a solo, but it happens more often than people coming from other sectors of the trucking industry expect.

Reactions: TeamPaul and TDave

Kazper

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle certainly hit the nail on the head in his reply.
My start in trucking was solo T/T for a few years.
The change in pace going from that to team expediting in a straight truck was unexpected. Not in a bad way though.
Just took some getting used to.
Solo dedicated T/T was go go go.. out of hours.
Team expedited is much less chaotic. We keep a 12 hour schedule on the truck. Plenty of time to relax and unwind, even when we are running as hard as we can. Having 40 hours left on my clock and getting a restart in because no load offers appeared sent my head for a loop at first.
In the end, it is less driving, shared responsibility, and very decent pay.
For some, sleeping in a moving vehicle is an insurmountable obstacle.
I also thought it would be tough for me.
Lots to contend with..
There is the trust issue of believing in the driving ability of your partner.
There is the need for major improvements to the highway system. (Interstate 12, I'm pointing at you. Thump. Thump. Thump.)
Having a respectful driving partner goes a long ways. Anticipate the changes.. Brake slowly. Accelerate evenly. Close doors lightly. Keep the radio at a volume the curtain will block. All little stuff.
Spend the extra money on a really amazing pillow and be smart about timing when to cut off the sugar and caffiene intake.
That ended up being the solution for me.
I sleep like a rock.
And, when that unexpected layover rears it's ugly head.. stay on schedule to avoid the misery of driving exhausted.
After all, unlike being solo and getting load offers at the most inconvenient of times (been up all day waiting for a load...) when you are a team driver, driving tired suddenly becomes optional.

Reactions: TeamPaul and Turtle

RepoRider

New Recruit
Driver
US Army
I remember sleeping anywhere I could when I was in the Army, I just cant do that anymore. There is no way I would be able to sleep in a moving vehicle...Hell, I cant even be a passenger without ghost braking... So team is out :laughing:

Last edited:

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
I remember sleeping anywhere I could when I was in the Army, I just cant do that anymore. There is no way I would be able to sleep in a moving vehicle...Hell, I cant even be a passenger without ghost braking... So team is out :laughing:

And to think you were off to such a good start...:) Welcome to the forum!

I would think, that if you had the right team, someone whose driving you trusted, you could sleep anywhere even in a moving vehicle. It would surely go a long way to achieving success as an Expediter.

RepoRider

New Recruit
Driver
US Army
Bigfoot.... Loch Ness Monster.... Solo Straight Truck Driver Position.

Bzzzzzzzz.... What are 3 things you will never capture?....DING DING DING LOL

Reactions: Turtle and Ragman

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I am looking for a solo hotshot driver if you can qualify with landstar. 36' flatbed hotshot