D unit question

omalljd

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am still trying to make my decision on whether to go with a D or a B unit. I will be running a team in a D unit and they will be out on the road for at least 3 or 4 weeks at a time. Can anyone give me some idea of expected earnings based on your experience over the last 1 or 2 years? I realize this includes many factors but I am just looking for monthly grosses. I also know that the economy is slow but is it realistic to expect $7000-$12000 a month as a team running full-time?:D

Again, I would just like input on teams driving D units.

Thanks for your input!

Jeff O'Malley

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The GROSS income figures you mentioned are very realistic.We have been a D team for many years and never have done less than $7000 and we have had many months where we have done $12,000. This year we had 1 month where we did $19000 but that was a exception. I think you can plan on a average of $10,000 with your team running 75% of the time. Good luck

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Jeff,
The figures from Laurence's survey are dated and not very useful in this economy. The information from RichM is accurate, but remember that they have learned how to do it over the years and will have a nest egg to carry them thru the upcoming very slow months.
Best advice for now is if you have a job, keep it until May then jump in our fray, or if you have plenty of money already, come on in and learn how much fun we all have out here.

Vernon

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Vernon,

The Drivers Survey is a live and on going survey. More participation from Owner Operators will return broader data. Here is the information as it pertains to a Straight Truck D Unit from FECC:

How much do you gross per year with this vehicle? (In thousands)

$50 - $75 29%
$75 - $100 18%
$100 - $125 41%
$125 - $150 6%
$150 - $175 0%
$175 - $200 0%
$200 + 6%

Thanks,
Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com

PS I encourage everyone to contribute their expediting experiences here:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/driversurvey.html

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Laurence,
The statement I made, "The figures from Laurence's survey are dated and not very useful in this economy" means that less than 20 took the survey for FedEx D units since 2000 when the survey was posted. You have no apparent way to tell the difference between the rosy reports from drivers back in 2000 compared to the thorny view now, making your survey not useful for understanding this economy here and now.

Try starting a new 2001 Recession survey to see the differences.

Vernon

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have consistently grossed around 75-80k a year with my D unit running solo since becoming O/O in 1999. I have ran for various expediting companies. I would figure a team should do at least 100-120k a year, regardless who they are running for. A fairly accurate "ballpark" figure of my operating expenses is about 45%- which makes my "take home pay" around 40-45k a year. This year will be a bit on the low side as freight has been slower and diesel fuel more expensive. but I still think things will end up around a 75k gross for me.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Jeff,

Another factor to consider is that right now new and used trucks prices are at an all time low. You can pick a two year old D unit straight truck for the price of a cargo van. I saw a 99 FL 80 with a 82" for 29K! This is a buyers market!

Good Luck!

Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com