D-Unit on Kenworth T300 Platform Comments

G

I've been seeing more and more D-Units built around the Kenworth T300 platform (w/ Bentz sleepers, I believe). Seen them with both Roberts, Tri-State and Landstar markings.

Anybody reading this driving one of these? What are your thoughts? They look nice but also look expensive (compaired to my FL70).

Mr. M. -- Home this year for Christmas!

G

I'm buying one. They are priced @ $1,000. more than some Expediter
Trucks set up on the FL70 chassis. A fairly stripped city truck FL 70 Chassis will go for as much as $8-9,000. Less. From looking at the spec's on FL 70's and the T300 out of Ft Wayne, I can see where the price difference come's about. The FL 70's are lightly speced out and the T300 HDX is a heavier built truck with several class 8 attributes to enhance it. Resale value is supposedly better also. All in all I believe it is worth the extra. Several expediter package deals are at least as costly and I would ask around before I bought one. Check out www.jroman.com for some comments from other owners and some other opinions. EH

G

Great!

When are you ink-ing the deal and taking delivery?

Are you going with a Heavy-Duty transmission, too, like an Eaton-Fuller Super 10?

Please keep us posted on how this goes!!!

Again, thanks!

Mr. M.

G

I own 4 T 300 Kenworths 3 98's and 1 95 they are well built trucks but I don't really know if they are better than Freightliners I haven't had any major problems just a few wireing problems but that is about it and resale value I don't think is any better.

G

Bobby,

Super! Thanks for your reply.

What engines are you running in them (make and HP)? Single axle, tag-ax or possibly twin-screw? Are you running a H-D transmission like an Eaton-Fuller 10 speed?

Mr. M.

EH

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We should be ready to go soon after the new year. Yes we are getting a Super 10. However since my wife also drives, we may opt for and automatic if we buy another. I have been told the allison gets great(even better)milage and operates smooth as you could ask for not to mention having a long and trouble free life even in class 8 trucks. Several new auto or semi auto transmissions are just around the corner. That is the wave of the future. Drive careful. EH

G

While most of the advise these guys are giving you sounds good. You had better check with your prospective freight company regarding weight requirements etc. These trucks look great but are much more exspensive than most people know. Problem is FL - 70's retail around 65,000.00 to 73,500.00 vs 80,000.00 to 95,000.00 on the T300 and you will likley be required to add a tag axle, adding an additional 12% f.e.t. tax because the T300's will not scale for D-Freight depending on the load. This is a problem the sales people will not tell you about. BEWARE OF CLASS 8 STRAIGHT TRUCKS!!!! Go with what works.

G

Excellent advise Mark, you have hit the nail right square on the head..Why buy more truck than you need? The last FL-70 I owned gave me terrific service,rode excellent and was very roomy and comfortable inside,for MUCH less money than the KW's being talked about here.Buying what ya NEED and what ya WANT are sometimes two totally different things folks. A standard T-300 without all the weight options would be a better choice,unless you can go with another axle and are with a company that will load you the extra weight to pay for it.Dwight with LEA made a good point about it helping him (the extra axle) get LTL freight out of dead areas.

G

im just running a 250hp 3126 cat in the 98 and not very happy with them single axle with Fuller 9 when I get new trucks they will have the ISC 250 or 300 hp. in a freightliner to me the KW's are over priced when the only difference is the cab everthing else is made by other co's. well the KW frame is pre drilled and the other is not so to me I would go with the the best price I could get

G

If you would like to save yourself some serious cash, then just add the tag axle on the T300 after your purchase. That way, you can avoid the FET.
I've driven both the FL70 and the T300. I can say that the T300 is much more confortable, and is much better built, from a mechanical standpoint. The FL series were not actually designed with comfort in mind, since they are basically intended to be delivery vehicles, not long haul units. If I were buying units for a fleet, I might go with the FL70 series for the initial cost savings and large freightliner dealer network. From a drivers or O/O standpoint, I would take the T300 hands down.

G

I have a friend who has who bought one of Jeff's first T-300's and it is still going strong nearly 5 years later. And considering the abuse this truck has taken (And considereing some of the ppl he has driving this truck) it has never had a major problem.

Yes it is heavier, and yes it is more expensive, but consider one thing. Jeff has designed that truck to go at least 500,000 miles without a major overhaul..There arent many FL-70's that can say that (Including mine) If you look at the savings in repairs, lost down time (and I hate setting waiting at a Freightliner dealer, God knows I think I've been to everyone of them.) and How much will you save by being able to keep that truck longer... To me, It kinda equals out the extra money...

G

One consideration worth mentioning here is the better warranty on the T300 compared with most FL70's. The truck will last longer! I had a FL70 and had lots of trouble with it, mainly the Spicer tranny. I traded trucks in January and went with a FL106 and 9 speed Eaton tranny. The only reason I choose this over the T300 was due to the narrow cab on the KW. I drove a KW for two years before buying my own truck and loved it except for the small cab. Good luck.

G

Don't know much about the T300. But from what I've read about it sounds like a good truck. On the other hand I've been around Freightliner's for many years. Most of those as a technician at a FL dealership. I can tell you personally from a mechanic's standpoint. That FL builds a poor quality product and their warranty is lousy. You may already know, but in case you do not. FL warranty from new does not cover adjustments, loose bolts, and does not cover towing. Also most dealerships if you bring your truck in for a problem and they can't find anything or for some reason the problem does not happen while at the dealership or in the case of the dealership I worked at, if they don't have the parts. Warranty will not cover the check out time and you will be charged. I also suggest you talk to sme mechanics at some dealerships about the Super 10. I can personally tell you that they are notorius for clutch pack going out in the rear section. I repaired to many of them. You may get lucky and get a good one. But it's certainly worth getting some opinions from people who have worked on them. I have a FL70 only reason I bought it was, due to being a FL tech. I have the experience and tools to repair the truck once it is out of warranty... Bottom line I guess is cheaper is not always better, Quality and Good Service and a Good Warranty will pay for itself in the long run. I am looking at building a D unit on a Western Star chassis in the near future. Good luck with what ever you decide to purchase...