D-Unit on Kenworth T300 Platform Comments

G

I've been seeing more and more D-Units built around the Kenworth T300 platform (w/ Bentz sleepers, I believe). Seen them with both Roberts, Tri-State and Landstar markings.

Anybody reading this driving one of these? What are your thoughts? They look nice but also look expensive (compaired to my FL70).

Mr. M. -- Home this year for Christmas!

G

I'm buying one. They are priced @ $1,000. more than some Expediter
Trucks set up on the FL70 chassis. A fairly stripped city truck FL 70 Chassis will go for as much as $8-9,000. Less. From looking at the spec's on FL 70's and the T300 out of Ft Wayne, I can see where the price difference come's about. The FL 70's are lightly speced out and the T300 HDX is a heavier built truck with several class 8 attributes to enhance it. Resale value is supposedly better also. All in all I believe it is worth the extra. Several expediter package deals are at least as costly and I would ask around before I bought one. Check out www.jroman.com for some comments from other owners and some other opinions. EH

G

Great!

When are you ink-ing the deal and taking delivery?

Are you going with a Heavy-Duty transmission, too, like an Eaton-Fuller Super 10?

Please keep us posted on how this goes!!!

Again, thanks!

Mr. M.

G

I own 4 T 300 Kenworths 3 98's and 1 95 they are well built trucks but I don't really know if they are better than Freightliners I haven't had any major problems just a few wireing problems but that is about it and resale value I don't think is any better.

G

Bobby,

Super! Thanks for your reply.

What engines are you running in them (make and HP)? Single axle, tag-ax or possibly twin-screw? Are you running a H-D transmission like an Eaton-Fuller 10 speed?

Mr. M.

G

We should be ready to go soon after the new year. Yes we are getting a Super 10. However since my wife also drives, we may opt for and automatic if we buy another. I have been told the allison gets great(even better)milage and operates smooth as you could ask for not to mention having a long and trouble free life even in class 8 trucks. Several new auto or semi auto transmissions are just around the corner. That is the wave of the future. Drive careful. EH

G

While most of the advise these guys are giving you sounds good. You had better check with your prospective freight company regarding weight requirements etc. These trucks look great but are much more exspensive than most people know. Problem is FL - 70's retail around 65,000.00 to 73,500.00 vs 80,000.00 to 95,000.00 on the T300 and you will likley be required to add a tag axle, adding an additional 12% f.e.t. tax because the T300's will not scale for D-Freight depending on the load. This is a problem the sales people will not tell you about. BEWARE OF CLASS 8 STRAIGHT TRUCKS!!!! Go with what works.

G

Excellent advise Mark, you have hit the nail right square on the head..Why buy more truck than you need? The last FL-70 I owned gave me terrific service,rode excellent and was very roomy and comfortable inside,for MUCH less money than the KW's being talked about here.Buying what ya NEED and what ya WANT are sometimes two totally different things folks. A standard T-300 without all the weight options would be a better choice,unless you can go with another axle and are with a company that will load you the extra weight to pay for it.Dwight with LEA made a good point about it helping him (the extra axle) get LTL freight out of dead areas.

G

im just running a 250hp 3126 cat in the 98 and not very happy with them single axle with Fuller 9 when I get new trucks they will have the ISC 250 or 300 hp. in a freightliner to me the KW's are over priced when the only difference is the cab everthing else is made by other co's. well the KW frame is pre drilled and the other is not so to me I would go with the the best price I could get