cutting out the middle-man........

mph78

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Have been hauling freight for other companies for 3 yrs., am researching getting my own loads any input appreciated:is 1-ton "B" unit required to have own "authority"? What is "dot registration? What is W-9 (fein form)?Contacted freight companies and these were reqirements b-4 one could load..... Please shed some light on these requirements thanx in advance for your input mph78

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/User_files/38f6ab916b891a19.jpg
Lawrence McCord

There are several requirements that a person or company must meet before they can haul their first interstate shipment. While the process to get your own authority over the last few years has become much easier. There are a few things to keep in mind - even in a B unit Cargo van. Here is a few things to consider:

1. 48 State Authority (IFTA)
2. Canadian Authority
3. Liability insurance(I believe $ 250,000 is min.)
4. Cargo insurance

and the biggie - Customers!

There are several companies that offer "one stop" shopping to get your own authority, with prices from $1000 - $2000. Check out these folks at IFTA, they seem to have an idea of our industry and are willing to answer questions.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/authority.html

Good Luck,
Lawrence McCord
Expediters Online.Com

Rob Bowlsby

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
All I can go by is Missouri, but it did not cost us near $1000-2000 to get our authority, it is fairly simple to do and you can get the info from the state your in.
The problem with cutting out the middle man, is waiting to get paid. It takes at least 30 days to get your money, and up to months. Trust me, I am finding out that every day.
If you have The financial resourses, and can find some people you trust it can be very profitable. It can be very easy to get over your head as you try to grow, because the freight is out there, just be very careful on hoe fast you proceed.

mph78

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rob, Thanx for your reply,I knew there were
companies that would hook me up on "auth."
(for a price!) and picked up applications,but,
far as I can tell,units under 10000 lbs.,are
not required to carry "auth.".What then, are
min. requirements b-4 one can load?Guess I need
to keep researching,will check ifta,ooida,as
Lawrence suggested, anybody else? All input
appreciated. 78