Current van driver. Trying to make the best business. Decision

niceguy65401

Rookie Expediter
I currently drive a cargo van and have been doing it for 2 months. I've been making around a 1,000 a week driving for someone else. I have a class A and have 2 yrs of exp with a tractor and a straight truck. I would like to own my own truck and make the most money doing so. Does anyone have suggestions to which path I should take to get started and which I will make the most money in the long run ?

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Niceguy;

$1000 a week driving someone else's van is doing spectacular. Why ruin a great thing?

niceguy65401

Rookie Expediter
Ok thanks. Just wanted to know if I would be better off driving for my self in a van or a tractor. And which one I would make the most with the least amount of headaches.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Niceguy;

$1000 a week driving someone else's van is doing spectacular. Why ruin a great thing?

That's what I was going to say, unless your running way too many miles to get that or still have fuel and expenses to deduct from that amount. I would think a lot of people would be happy with that amount in a cargo van.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I currently drive a cargo van and have been doing it for 2 months. I've been making around a 1,000 a week driving for someone else. I have a class A and have 2 yrs of exp with a tractor and a straight truck. I would like to own my own truck and make the most money doing so. Does anyone have suggestions to which path I should take to get started and which I will make the most money in the long run ?

$1000 a week after all expenses consistently? I would disappear and not tell anyone about that. $52,000 a year in a van after expenses. That's pretty darn good.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
. . . and to keep some out for taxes.
simplified1040.gif

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Stay where you are until the owner has to sell the van because he went broke then buy it on the cheap off him.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where's the van leased on at and are they adding any would be my question. 1000 bucks a week after a split with owner sign me up.

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
Let me know if you leave the job, $1,000 a week will get me out of retirement FAST.