Curious

G

Question Ladies and Gentlemen. I have a opportunity to buy a used D unit from a private indvidual. It is 4 years old but with a freshly rebuilt engine, with a 100,000 warranty, with 6 brand new tires for $35,000.00

My question is: What is the average cost per mile for a D unit? At your respective company, what can a single driver expect to gross per week in a D unit living in Fort Wayne, IN Thanks folks!

G

Operating cost data I've seen on D units typically ranges from 40 to 45 cents per mile (cpm). Income is a lot more difficult to predict. My cousin operates a D and says that dead head, which pays little or nothing, is the most difficult to estimate. I believe if you used a figure of 110 cpm per loaded mile and assumed 25 dead head miles for every 100 loaded mile this would give you an effective income of 110 cpm per 1.25 miles or 88 cpm for all miles traveled. Unfortunately this will vary quite a bit and is more difficult to predict than the operating costs. BTW, hope I didn't offend anyone with my answer under staying warm in winter. My wife didn't think it was very humorous either.

G

I am a recruiter for Con-Way Now. There are a variety of factors that will influence your cost per mile, ie the cost of the truck, engine, transmission, and rear end combinations, etc.

As an average, you can anticipate your cost per mile to be 30 to 35 cents. I include everything I feel accounts for cost per mile. Things like a $1500 truck payment, 1.5 cents per mile reserve for mechanical problems, $35 per day per diem for meals, as well as the obvious like fuel, oil changes, and the like.

I cannot speak for the other companies, however our D-Units average 85 cents per mile for all miles. This leaves you with a net of 50 to 55 cents per mile. Using a yearly average, you will run 95,000 per year with us.

This will calculate to:
miles per week 1,900
Income income per mile x .85
Weekly income $1,615

miles per week 1,900
Expenses cost per mile .33
Weekl expenses $ 627

Net Weekly income $1,615
Weekly expenses 627
Net income $ 988

Again, these numbers are based upon a 50 week working year. What you will find is that the 1st quarter of the year, income is much lower, the 2nd and 3rd quarters are about what the numbers above represent and the 4th quarter will be unusally higer.

One final detail you should ask each company is what their discount program is. Very few recruiters will volunteer this information to a potential contractor. However, it is critical in your decision making process!

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me at 888-339-0244.

G

Good info. My cousin's 88 cpm gross (for all miles operated) is with another company; however, 85 and 88 are very close. I still like the 40 to 45 cpm operating cost for a D unit as I have seen actual data of 42 cpm. I've talked to several B operators who put their cost around 30 cpm.