Cube Van/Pesky Penske money maker?

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Can you make money off one of the cube van pesky penske trucks running it legally? I ask because Ive been thinking of buying that's sitting at a local car lot. thought hey this might work for a little extra income or if all else fails make it into a wicked cool stealth camper on the cheap lol. Any thoughts or ideas hell even slam the idea im cool with that too. Beside I drive a sprinter van my dad owes so this is just sitting in a truck stop parking lot ramble. Btw this truck was owned by a local furniture store NOT penske in case you wanted to know

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Depends on average rate per mile and miles per week.
5000 miles per week at 62 CPM is crap.
As well as......
500 miles per week at $1.36 per mile is crap.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know several people who run cubes and like them. The mpg will be bad but you have to run the numbers and figure it out.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I run a 2010 single rear wheel Chevy cube 12' box ..6.0 w/ 6 spd....keep your foot out of it it will get 17mpg...the dual wheel wide box are known for horrible mpg.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any vehicle with a max/ gross weight of 10,000 lbs must follow FMCSA regs.
so, with a 12000 lb GVW cube van you need to follow the same regs as a Strait truck and a tractor trailer.
All Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

You will need to build in a DOT legal sleeper if you plan on being out over night.
Sleeper berths. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Another key item is how much weight can you carry legal.
Remember to include your gear, you, a co driver if you have one, a full tank of fuel, and then the freight. On a van chasis you need to be be extra careful about axle weights as the weight is not as generous. Just like on a strait truck you might be legal on your max weight but exceed your max weight on one of your steer or drive axle. And as far as DOT is concerned, an overweight is an overweight.

I recommend that you being a newbie to do the research ask questions from as many drivers on E.O.

Also contact your area FMCSA office and create what I call a friendly contact with a DOT investigator that you can field questions at or even a troopers barracks and ask to speak to a truck inspector they will have a better translation of the FMCSA regs. I would rather have a trooper clarify a req rather than find out the hard way at an inspection.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if yopu have any questions.
Bob Wolf

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He isn't a newbie he said he drives a sprinter his dad owns.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
The cube I was looking at has a 16ft box, I was thinking I could make a sleep out 4 feet of as my brother is carpenter. Nothing fancy just space to kinda relax in. I know driving a cube would mean I'd have to use logs but are those really that big a deal? I'm still very much a newbie lol

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
The cube I was looking at has a 16ft box, I was thinking I could make a sleep out 4 feet of as my brother is carpenter. Nothing fancy just space to kinda relax in. I know driving a cube would mean I'd have to use logs but are those really that big a deal? I'm still very much a newbie lol

Filling them out is not a problem..its all the rules/laws that go with them that's the problemo.....
Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

If you have to log anyway just go to a straight truck. It will pay better and haul more.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Any vehicle with a max/ gross weight of 10,000 lbs must follow FMCSA regs.
so, with a 12000 lb GVW cube van you need to follow the same regs as a Strait truck and a tractor trailer.
All Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

You will need to build in a DOT legal sleeper if you plan on being out over night.
Sleeper berths. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

The "Resting" (Sleeping) in a Parked Commercial Motor Vehicle is now allowed under the new HOS Changes:

7. What other changes are there in the rule?

*A. Definition of On-Duty Time

The FMCSA is excluding from the definition of on-duty time (i) any time resting in a parked vehicle, or (ii) up to 2 hours in the passenger seat of a moving property-carrying CMV, immediately before or after 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth.

*(2) Why didn’t FMCSA limit the amount of time a driver can rest in a parked vehicle?

FMCSA does not believe that the rule should include a time limit in a parked CMV or other vehicle. Under the previous definition, a driver could be forced to spend time out of the cab even if there were no safe place to do so or no shelter or facilities. It is surely better that the driver can rest in the cab in these circumstances, regardless of the length of time involved.
Revised on February 13, 2012.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/topics/hos/qanda.aspx#q7

In other words......You can now SLEEP (Rest) in any CMV whether it has a DOT Approved Sleeper or not........

Just DO NOT "Log" Sleeper Berth if you're going to Stretch Out across the Front Seats of your 12K GVWR 14ft Box Truck, Back Seat of your 12.5K GVWR Dually Wheeled Truck, or your 33K GVWR Day Cab International that Does NOT have a DOT Approved Sleepers on them.

LOG that time as "OFF DUTY" only.....................