CROSS DOCK USAGE

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I realize that the large name expedited carriers utilize their own facilities to transfer freight from truck to truck or van to van. This practice used to be common with the vans especially. Not so much today with many non regulated vans being dispatched straight through without transfer.

As far as the smaller carriers are concerned, what type of cross dock facilities do you use for transferring freight from van to van or truck to truck? Are they small private facilities or large terminals? Do transfers happen often with your carrier? Under what circumstances do they take place?

I am interested in this for my own information and think that it would make an interesting topic of discussion.

Thanks as always for your replies in advance.

Stay safe!

KG

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some carriers offer cross docking at their facilities to outside customers. Load 1 and TST come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Others can pay an LTL terminal to do the crossdock. Many warehouses offer crossdocking services ,as well. A few tow truck companies have forklifts and will do a transfer from one van to another.

Sometimes it's as easy as doing a Google search for "crossdock facility near me" to get an idea of what's available.