Cranky Dispatchers

sweetcdngirl

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
US Army
I don't know about you all, but it really irritates me when someone gets really cranky with you when you turn down what you may consider an unprofitable load. Don't they realize by the time you do this small load, that it takes you 7 hours to do a load that will only pay the driver 50 dollars, that you don't care to take it? Maybe the CSR's should stop booking loads, that they know the drivers will not take. And also these reduced rate loads. How would they like it, if when they came into work, that their bosses said to them....Ok today you are gonna work for less money so that we can keep our customers happy .... They would probably tell panther to go get stuffed. So why is it, that they expect us to work for less money? Since they reduced the amount of boards, they are able to do this. Well there is 10 other trucks I can offer it to first... and you know that one of the ones at the bottom of the barrel will take this load. I just think it is totally unfair. Panther breaks the contracts daily by offering up reduced rate loads. And then get cranky at you when you dont want to run for .20 cents less a mile then your truck is contracted for. Am I the only one that is having issues with this???

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
yep, had a mini in chicago last week,6 other drivers turned it down....so i took it knowing it wasnt good,but figured they had my back when i dropped it off..took 13 hours to figure out it was going to usps bulk mail, my reward was another load within 10 minutes and yepp it was a mini...i about came unglued....how quickly people forget favors.....remember its not about you....its about them....however i have had a few favors returned over the years, probably just the odds that i got a decent load afterwards... just keep turning them down,cause they give out the crapp first and once they have a taker the longer loads bust out...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No matter what they tell you, the dispatchers at Panther cannot return a favor. Like, they cannot go out and find you a load. All they can do is dispatch the loads that the CSR's give them. Also, even if they could return a favor, they don't have the time. As soon as they hang up with you they immediately move on to the next load and have already forgotten about you. Never do someone a favor who is not in the position to return it.

As for for the crappy loads, that's the business. Panther has some customers who they absolutely will not say NO to, and all of the other customers they say YES to. You know how drivers with low acceptance rates will get passed over if Dispatch needs a load covered, right now, with one phone call? Customers are like that, too. They don't want to waste time calling someone who may or may not take the load. They call Panther, the load's covered, just like that. Happy customer.

In that vein, Dispatchers are very focused. Their job is to get loads covered. They have a load on their computer screen, and it's gotta get covered so they can go to the next screen and get that load covered, so they can go to the next screen and get that load covered, and so on. Some of the more experienced dispatchers can understand things from the driver's perspective a little bit, but for the most part that's not their job. Their job is to get loads covered. They will offer you good loads and bad loads, but to most of them, there is no difference between the two. A load is a load is a load and it's gotta get covered. That's all that matters in Dispatch World.

The less experienced dispatchers can get cranky when you turn down a load. The upside to that is, as soon as they get off the phone with you, they have forgotten about you, because they have no choice but to move on to the next driver and then the next load. So, if a dispatcher gets cranky with you, you might as well forget about it as soon as you hang up, 'cause they have.

"How would they like it, if when they came into work, that their bosses said to them....Ok today you are gonna work for less money so that we can keep our customers happy ...."

Well, that's not really all that good a correlation. One, it's a shipper's market, they can demand lower rates, and get it, because if one carrier doesn't give them the rate they are looking for, another one will. But as an illustration, let's flip that around, where Panther tells the customer, "No, we won't book your load at that rate, because some of our employees might be unhappy." Customer would laugh. Panther accepts the load, and instead of reducing the salaries of the people in the office, they simply lay a bunch of them off (which is exactly what happened).

"Since they reduced the amount of boards, they are able to do this. Well there is 10 other trucks I can offer it to first..."

The size of the boards have nothing to do with that. They've always been able to do that. Trust me, board position doesn't mean nearly as much as you think, especially with these large boards, not that it really ever meant all that much. They have always, and continue to this day, do a 50 or 100 mile radius out from the shipper, and see what trucks show up in that radius. Within that radius, whatever trucks show up, they will usually take board position into account. But if you're 90 miles out and they do a 50 mile radius, you could be #1 on the board and it won't matter, 'cause you won't show up in the 50 mile radius search. You may be #1 on the board as a whole, and #1 in a 100 mile radius search, but someone else might be #1 in a 50 mile radius search. Even at that, if the pickup time is even a little critical, whoever is closest to the pickup will get the call, regardless of their board position. Again, remember that it's their job to get the load covered, and to get it covered now, and then move on to the next load. If the pickup time isn't until like 6 hours from now, they can take a little more time, do a larger radius and send the offers out more in line with the overall board position. That does allow them to offer a reduced rate load to other trucks, but if the pickup time is critical, they simply don't have time for that.

"Panther breaks the contracts daily by offering up reduced rate loads."

You mean like when they break contracts daily when you are given a bonus to get a load covered? You can flat turn down that bonus, same as you can flat turn down that reduced rate.

Technically, they aren't breaking the contract simply by offering you something that is different than the contract. Offering you the load at your contract rate, and then paying it out at a reduced rate, that would be breaking the contract. But simply offering you one at a reduced rate, or at an inflated rate, isn't a contract breech. You can reject it. If you accept the load offer at a reduced rate, or at a rate with a bonus attached to it, then it's a mutually agreed upon change to the contract for that load.

If you don't like reduced rate load, don't accept them. If you seem to be getting nothing but reduced rate loads, more than likely you are spending most of your time in the Midwest where the majority of the freight is NLM and/or automotive freight, where the rates are depressed and that's all you're gonna be offered. Get out into the fringes where the rates are higher, the loads are longer, and the herd is thinner.

Reactions: 1 person

panther_art

Expert Expediter
I wished they would offer me one of them reduced rate loads that you guys don't want.
As far as cranky dispatchers, you know you don't have to talk to them, I don't I do everything over the qc sometimes after I say no I might reconsider and get a heart and do the load if they have no one else to cover it. And if I don't want the load and they send a message what will it take I always say $1,000,000.00 they leave me alone after that. But if they ever say ok I will do the load and we all will have a great party on my dime.

Last edited:

sweetcdngirl

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
US Army
Wow Turtle...are you actually a driver for Panther? Or are you a Panther employee? Even turning down the reduced rate loads they get cranky with u. And these reduced rate loads are offered in PRIME panther circle, not the midwest. It seems the only time you get a load at the truck rate is when they have no other truck in the area to cover the load. Other then that it is offered at a reduced rate 90% of the time. And they don't forget about you, believe you me. I was on the phone with a dispatcher about a load and this dispatcher was grumblin about another driver and how that driver never does anything without a bonus. So they don't FORGET about you as soon as you hang up. And Panther offer up a bonus???? Hell no, you have to pull teeth to get bonuses, again, they only hand those out if there are no other trucks in the area that they can turn to. And your right about the radius search thing, they will offer to the closest truck. This we do know. We are not new to Panther. They do need to go back to the old boards, so we are not all congested in one area. Like Detroit where there can be 30 trucks at one time. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy working for Panther, and there is alot of folks I talk to on the phones that are very nice and pleasant. It's the cranky ones that need lessons on phone manners and how to respect the drivers. Because without the drivers, they wouldnt have a job.

sweetcdngirl

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
US Army
Panther_art

I lost track and count on the favors panthers owes us lol. Might as well forget getttin back owed favors. You will not see them. Just smile and say thanks when you do get those great loads.

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
Panther_art

I lost track and count on the favors panthers owes us lol. Might as well forget getttin back owed favors. You will not see them. Just smile and say thanks when you do get those great loads.

Yeah I know what are you are talking about... sometimes they follow through and some times they don't.... just have to be at the right place at the right time

sweetcdngirl

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
US Army
That is exactly what it boils down to. Being in the right place at the right time that gets you the really good loads

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wow Turtle...are you actually a driver for Panther? Or are you a Panther employee?
I'm sure others besides myself got a chuckle out of that one. But you're new here and likely don't know of my long love affair with the collection of idiots, morons and incompetents loosely referred to as the people in Seville.

Even turning down the reduced rate loads they get cranky with u.
You, maybe, but not me. I usually just say, "No thanks." If they ask me why, I'll tell 'em straight up, either I don't want to go where it's taking me, or there's too much deadhead, or it's reduced rate, or whatever. If my reason is one they wish to compensate me for, they will, if not, "no thanks" still applies, and they can get it covered by someone else.

And these reduced rate loads are offered in PRIME panther circle, not the midwest.
Uhm, the Midwest is in the PRIME circle. That's certainly not the only place you'll get offered a reduced rate, but for the most part, it's where the cheap freight is, the NLM stuff, the automotive freight, and combine that with a bazillion trucks, not just from Panther, but from everybody, and competition results in low rates. I have been on the fringes and have been offered reduced rate loads, as well. I do know, tho, that in talking with lots of others, I haven't been getting as many reduced rate loads as some others have been, and I don't think it's because of favoritism.

It seems the only time you get a load at the truck rate is when they have no other truck in the area to cover the load. Other then that it is offered at a reduced rate 90% of the time.
I dunno. 90% isn't even close to my experience. My rate in the van is 77 cents. There was about a 10 day period where I had 9 loads, 6 were at 75 cents, the other 3 were at 77 cents. In the last 4 weeks, though, I've had one at 75, one at 70, and all of the others have been at my contracted rate, a few of them at substantially higher FSC rates than normal.

I agreed to run freight at 77 cents a mile, plus the FSC, so that's what I will live up to, as long as the load makes sense and is profitable. If it's not, then no thanks, thanks for offering it, have a nice day, I'll catch you on the next one.

And they don't forget about you, believe you me. I was on the phone with a dispatcher about a load and this dispatcher was grumblin about another driver and how that driver never does anything without a bonus. So they don't FORGET about you as soon as you hang up.
OK, I exasperated a little. But for the most part, unless you make a chronic spectacle of yourself (as I have done), most will not remember you. They aren't smart enough or competent enough to remember most of the, I dunno, 1000 or so drivers, on a day to day basis. They're too busy. On the other hand, there are at least two dispatchers (and a couple on Driver Relations and a couple on Safety) who, if you asked them who their least favorite driver is, my name would roll right off their tongue without hesitation. My problem is, I don't complain much, but I will not tolerate incompetence or someone who lies, so when I do complain, it's very long and very loud, which just endears the heck out of me with nearly everyone in the building before I'm done. I'm not here to win friends and influence people, I'm here to do a job, and I do it well, and I expect those who I pay a hefty fee to for each load they find for me, to at least be competent in their jobs.

And Panther offer up a bonus???? Hell no, you have to pull teeth to get bonuses, again, they only hand those out if there are no other trucks in the area that they can turn to.
Exactly, if there are no other trucks in the area, they are more likely to offer a bonus to get the load covered. That's where my "no thanks" come in real handy. I accept or reject the load as offered, and if I reject one it's because I don't want it. It's not like I want that load really bad, but only if they offered me a bonus. I don't want the load as offered, period. If they need it covered badly enough, they will ask me what it would take to get me to run it, or they might offer up some incentive like covering full deadhead or whatever. If they offer it, fine, if not, that's fine too because I've already turned the load down. I've never had to pull teeth or beg for a bonus. If they offer it, I'll reconsider the load as offered, if not, that's fine with me, too.

They do need to go back to the old boards, so we are not all congested in one area. Like Detroit where there can be 30 trucks at one time.
Well, they need to go back tot he old boards, but not because we're congested. Those 30 truck that are in Detroit are almost certainly not all in Detroit. They are spread all over the place, the same places they were before these new boards. For example, with the old boards, it might show 4 trucks in Louisville and 4 in Lexington. With the new boards, and with those 8 trucks sitting in the same exact place, it will show 8 trucks in Lexington. They aren't all of a sudden all congested in Lexington.

But that's the problem with the new boards, not the congestion, but the fact that we really don't know where the other trucks are anymore, much less where the loads are coming from. These new boards are 11,400 square miles (pi r squared) which is just butt stoopid. The old boards might show 5-a-day out of Louisville and 2-a-day out of Lexington, and it showed how many trucks were in each location. Now, it'll show 7 a day out of Lexington and 8 trucks are sitting there in Lexington, which doesn't tell us squat, cause it's dead wrong information. As bad as the old boards were, especially all those 0-a-day boards, they at least told you where not to go. Now, we don't even know that much. The new boards are a tour de force in ignorance and incompetence

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy working for Panther, and there is alot of folks I talk to on the phones that are very nice and pleasant. It's the cranky ones that need lessons on phone manners and how to respect the drivers. Because without the drivers, they wouldnt have a job.
Yeah, for the most part everyone is nice. It's not their fault that whatever intelligence they had when they started was systematically boiled from their brain by Panther policies and procedures. Sometimes they can get cranky, but so can I. It happens.

As for working for Panther, well... I could get my own authority and everything that goes along with it, and spend time finding all my own loads and dealing with collections and all the other stuff, but I don't want to deal with all that hassle. Instead, I pay Panther to find loads for me, and to deal with all the other stuff. So while I'm leased on with them, I don't actually work for them. It's a symbiotic partnership, to be sure, but if anything, they work for me. I pay them a lot, so do you, and it's why incompetence just chaps my butt.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think sometimes the employee mentality gets in the way of the business one. I also think some look at Panther as "just a expediting company" which they really aren't. They are more of a logistics company. Why does this matter?
It matters in that many think they are only dealing with the pool of trucks that you see. Not the case.
Unless it can't specifically be brokered, every load may have a external competitor. That reduced rate load they send can be covered by another driver or the many "bottom feeder companies" that will haul it for less (via Panther web X) than that reduced rate.
We never have been offered a reduced rate for government, hazmat, or non brokering loads. Some customers won't allow their freight to be brokered.
As Turtle mentioned, their job is to book and cover freight.
As for favors, depends on who is asking. Too many loads, too many shifts, too many dispatchers, for it really to get remembered.
Will we run a reduced rate? Sometimes. It depends on many factors just like looking at any other load.
Case in point. Truck sitting in Seattle gets a full rate offer with bonus to Stockton, CA. Or..........Seattle to Chicago for ten cents less per mile contracted rate.
Ummm??? I bet you can guess which one we took.
As for cranky dispatchers, our cell service always develops a connection problem. Call back and someone else will answer.
As for a supervisor calling me as a fleet owner to get a driver to cover a load? Couple times a year. Re-negotiated the load and everyone was happy.
Just not something that happens with any frequency.

Last edited:

touble

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle=DaveKC Great answer to this post. Have you two thought about giving lessons about expediteing to all new drvers coming into the business. I think it would open many peoples eyes to what this business is all about. You can sign me up!

sweetcdngirl

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
US Army
As to refer to dispatch calling you as a fleet owner ... Have you forced your driver to take the load they didnt want to take? It hasnt happened to us, but has happened to friends. Our owner pretty much leaves us alone, as we know what we are doing out here. But it's the newbies that don't. And I Guess alot of what I say is in defense to the drivers that don't know any different.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As to refer to dispatch calling you as a fleet owner ... Have you forced your driver to take the load they didnt want to take? It hasnt happened to us, but has happened to friends. Our owner pretty much leaves us alone, as we know what we are doing out here. But it's the newbies that don't. And I Guess alot of what I say is in defense to the drivers that don't know any different.

Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't force someone to take something. But if there is a frequency in which they "don't wanna" on profitable loads, they are not likely a good fit for me.
There are too many good teams in search of a good fleet owner for one to settle for a part time steering wheel holder.
We have some of the best teams in the business. toot toot
Nothing wrong with part timers or truck stop decorators, but they are better suited to running their own truck.
As for training classes, I'm in. "The Turtle & Dave Show"

Last edited:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
As for training classes, I'm in. "The Turtle & Dave Show"

Sign me up :D

Luckily we've had very little trouble with dispatch. When we've had issues, it's been with general and not elite. I'm not saying that one is better or worse than the other, but I have to wonder if it's because general probably has a larger volume to deal with? Maybe Dave could answer that one?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sign me up :D

Luckily we've had very little trouble with dispatch. When we've had issues, it's been with general and not elite. I'm not saying that one is better or worse than the other, but I have to wonder if it's because general probably has a larger volume to deal with? Maybe Dave could answer that one?

That would be my take. The folks in Elite is a smaller pool of people with little rotation so they are known more on a first name basis. At least that is our experience.
As for trouble with dispatchers, I can't say we really have any issues. They all seem pretty friendly.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I've never had trouble with a dispatcher they all love me because i am such a nice guy. Thank god lighting cant get me in my truck i have a force field set up to block that.

sweetcdngirl

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
US Army
Well, we are not steering wheel holders or truck stop decorators. Matter of fact, my husband and I run above Panther average for miles and earnings. We don't run elite, we run ground. We do know alot of dispatchers on a first name basis. And like I said before, for the most part, they are friendly and nice. But there are a select few that get right snarky and cranky when you wont help them out with a non profitable load. :( And there are a select few, that always offer you a load at a reduced rate. :( We run straight truck team, ground freight. :D And we are pretty good at it, if I do say so. But it just get's down right agravating when they get miserable because you dont want to do these bs loads. Sometimes I wish we could all sit down with the CSR's and maybe go over our concerns. And yes, we have done many a small load because they are really stuck to get it there. :cool: I'm not saying we are superstars, because noone is perfect. Just want some respect in return. BE SAFE OUT THERE ALL

touble

Seasoned Expediter
Sweet: I dont think there is such a word,as Respect, in Panther world for drivers or O/O. Just a number. Be Safe!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Well, we are not steering wheel holders or truck stop decorators. Matter of fact, my husband and I run above Panther average for miles and earnings. We don't run elite, we run ground. We do know alot of dispatchers on a first name basis. And like I said before, for the most part, they are friendly and nice. But there are a select few that get right snarky and cranky when you wont help them out with a non profitable load. :( And there are a select few, that always offer you a load at a reduced rate. :( We run straight truck team, ground freight. :D And we are pretty good at it, if I do say so. But it just get's down right agravating when they get miserable because you dont want to do these bs loads. Sometimes I wish we could all sit down with the CSR's and maybe go over our concerns. And yes, we have done many a small load because they are really stuck to get it there. :cool: I'm not saying we are superstars, because noone is perfect. Just want some respect in return. BE SAFE OUT THERE ALL

Wasn't referring to you as "the steering wheel holders" but most know them when they see them. I think you did answer your own question. I would go to Seville and pay them a visit. Well worth the visit in my opinion.