CR or DR unit, no sleeper

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I was in the Vegas area and I noticed a FDCC Cr or Dr unit with no sleeper out there. I thought maybe it was a Texas sleeper built into the box but I got a good look at it and noticed there was not a cutout in the back wall. Anyone know about what this is for? Just sparked my curiosity.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Probably a dedicated account.
I once ran some short reefer loads that were dedicated, daily runs of food.

jamom123

Expert Expediter
I thought Fedex wouldn't even allow a truck without a sleeper.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
No. Supply Chain is not CC.
CC has some nonsleepers, I believe, but not on the general fleet.
They'd be on dedicated runs that you will have a hard time finding out about.
I ran dedicated for two days, covering for a guy in CT on a day they got 12" of snow and they wouldn't tell me anymore than I needed to know to cover those two days.

jamom123

Expert Expediter
Oh ok so that's what supply chain does. I've always wondered you don't see very many of them.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
There aren't a lot of them. You see them as they can be any color. Decals are small. You just don't notice them.

Deville

Not a Member
They are out there. I saw a 10ft sprinter cutaway today on 95N in the Bronx. There is a guy that lives in Cranbury NJ that runs around in an 18 footer Mitsubishi cabover that's dock height with no sleeper. I know he runs his balls off & isn't dedicated. Met another guy in Philly that was running a non sleeper isuzu. All these guys run as C units.

I have no need for a sleeper. I like having it, but I don't use it much. My next truck won't have a sleeper.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The few dedicated trucks have a precarious life. If the dedicated account goes away so does the need for a truck without a sleeper.

aimeejos

Active Expediter
I ran into a guy on the fuel pumps at the Petro in Kingman AZ.n He was in a midsize no sleeper straight truck- He was doing a dedicated run from Pheonix to Las Vegas. He asked lots of questions about how we ran because he was considering buying his own truck. I believe he said he was doing a Starbucks run... There are also cargo van/small box type units in the Ontario CA area that are dedicated.

Deville

Not a Member
Ok Where else are they used near their dedicated account?

I have a sleeper & I don't use it. I'm not dedicated on a steady run.

There is another guy who has been with FDCC longer than I & he doesn't have a sleeper on his truck & isn't dedicated on a steady run either.

The person I mentioned earlier in the thread that lives in Cranbury NJ he has an 18foot cabover, no sleeper, & isn't dedicated on a steady run.

Clearly the 3 of us are doing something right because I'm approaching my tenth year, the other two guys are on longer then 10 years & we are all home nightly.

We stay available & take runs that meet our needs.\

Don't get me wrong I would like to have a dedicated run, but what can you do. If it comes around it comes around.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Deville you are right.

Cranbury NJ would be a great place to run without a sleeper as would I think much of the NE out west I think it would not work as well.

CCDriver

Active Expediter
No. Supply Chain is not CC.
CC has some nonsleepers, I believe, but not on the general fleet.
They'd be on dedicated runs that you will have a hard time finding out about.
I ran dedicated for two days, covering for a guy in CT on a day they got 12" of snow and they wouldn't tell me anymore than I needed to know to cover those two days.

Yes they do like to keep info to themselves as it tends to clutter our poor little truckers brains.

CCDriver

Active Expediter
I'm sure there are plenty of places where freight is so hot that these types of trucks could be used be used being home every night would be great if you were making good money.
The only downside would be living near the bigger cities though some enjoy that lifestyle many do not or the heavy city traffic on a daily basis wouldn't be some peoples cup of tea.