Could there be an iphone app for EO?!

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I was just sittin here thinking it would be very cool if EO could make an app for the newer phones? Would this be a possibility? Just a thought!;)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That would be excellent especially if it brought up a small screen friendly version that minimized the amount of colors/fonts/ads/etc. that add so much to the loading time etc..

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
it would have to be simple and easy for me to deal with it, i am totally illliterate for the most part...id really like just a cell phone that made calls and nothing else....:eek:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I'm on EO with my DroidX, my fat fingers keep bringing up things I don't want. Will one of those stylus/pencil things work?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
When I'm on EO with my DroidX, my fat fingers keep bringing up things I don't want. Will one of those stylus/pencil things work?

We all have that problem even though the DroidX keyboard has larger keys than most. The stylus might help, personally I don't like the things. I'm sure you're already using one but just a reminder, if you're going to use a stylus, make sure you have a screen protector on the screen. I've heard people say they don't use them because the screen won't scratch but I'm not willing to take that chance.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use my iPhone once in a while but it's too busy to be really enjoyable. Amazon has a different site for phone app use that's much less involved and easier to use. That would be a nice option for EO.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

on my original Motorola Droid a stylus won't work, I just enlarge the screen(bottom right hand corner of screen) until I can use my fat fingers LOL

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A stylus, women with really long fingernails, or a gloved hand, won't work. The Droid (and most Smartphones including the iPhone) uses a capacitive touch screen. A capacitive touch screen uses an insulator, like glass, coated with a transparent conductor like indium oxide. The human body is also a conductor, so touching the surface of the screen results in a distortion of the electrostatic field which gets measured as a change in capacitance in the exact X-Y coordinates on the screen. The location is then sent to the phone's CPU.

They do make capacitive styli for these screens, but they don't really work. They sort of work, but they're not all that reliable. Reviews are less than stellar. There are some really cheap ones out there, which work hardly at all, and then there's the $25 one from HTC that sort of works. Can't pinch and zoom with it, tho. :D

I had a heckuva time when I first got mine, what with having fat fingers and all, especially typing on the on-screen keyboard. But I'm pretty good at it now.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been enlarging the screen and that does help, but doing that sometimes brings stuff up. Has anyone else with an X found that if you remove the shell/skin backing the reception improves dramatically?

Thanks for the info.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
sixfinger.jpg

Would this work as a stylus?

Six Finger Six Finger
man-o-live
how did I ever get along with five?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I've been enlarging the screen and that does help, but doing that sometimes brings stuff up. Has anyone else with an X found that if you remove the shell/skin backing the reception improves dramatically?

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about the reception, maybe you could elaborate some for this old brain!

Concerning the keyboard, have you tried any of the keyboard apps to see if there's one that's a better fit for you?? I'm using the SwiftKey Keyboard, it's one of the choices on the link I've provided. Funny that this comes up now, I paid .99 for this app because I really liked it and then on one of the Android boards that I follow, they announced that 9/30 was the last day for that price, it went up to the 3.99 you see it for now.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't have much experience with the keyboard yet, I haven't replied to an e-mail or posted anything with it yet. Just navigating EO can be tricky, switching threads, ect.

When you put the new battery in the X, you had to remove a shell before you removed the cover for the battery, right? If not, then you don't have what I'm talking about. In fact, with with the new cover for the fat battery it may not even fit anymore. My reception was so bad I was missing calls. When I removed the shell I watched the signal improve big time.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I don't have much experience with the keyboard yet, I haven't replied to an e-mail or posted anything with it yet. Just navigating EO can be tricky, switching threads, ect.

When you put the new battery in the X, you had to remove a shell before you removed the cover for the battery, right? If not, then you don't have what I'm talking about. In fact, with with the new cover for the fat battery it may not even fit anymore. My reception was so bad I was missing calls. When I removed the shell I watched the signal improve big time.

Agree...surfing the web can be quite the experience on these smart phones. I use mine for quick checks on sites that I follow but if I want a really good look, I drag out that HUGE laptop...LOL.

When you say "shell", are you talking about the case?? That's the only thing I can think you're talking about because the bare phone has only the little battery cover door....BTW the larger battery comes with it's own "door" to accommodate the larger size. I haven't had any reception problems with mine so I can't really speak to that but that is interesting.

You might check these forums to see if others are experiencing the same problems as you, if so, you might want to contact Verizon.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That must be the case I'm talking about. I looked around in the forum you linked(thanks) and found a thread about reception, but no one talked about the shell.