Coronavirus disrupts freight, price of oil; U.S. impacts could be ‘substantial’

Jeffrey Stowe

Rookie Expediter
Driver
The main concern is getting it quicker than most because of our rapid wide geographic area change from day to day. Whether we develop symptoms, become sick, or are just carriers of the virus. The Spanish Flu of 1918 was primarily carried and transmitted to the small communities in the U.S. through transportation freight and postal workers.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The virus may have a small part to play, but China and Europe were in a recession before this started. We've been on the brink for the last year; and would've been pushed over the edge if not for the Fed's razzle dazzle hocus pocus.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The virus may have a small part to play, but China and Europe were in a recession before this started. We've been on the brink for the last year; and would've been pushed over the edge if not for the Fed's razzle dazzle hocus pocus.

You think the Fed helped?

All the people that had been conservatively in bonds got the shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
I told this Forum a few years ago,that this day would come.Remember all those yellow rental truck with all those guys coming to America hauling freight for peanuts.Please lets all over look the fact they couldn't read and write English.Shipper didn't ask it there were dock high, or if they had Insurance,or a Medical card,not question was asked.I have prove my address get CDL,pay $75 for finger prints,take test for TSA,report any tickets I might get.Medical Card each 2 yrs.Im I missing anything.They loaded them up and now they driving Sprinter,those Yellow truck stand out too much.Rules what rules.If some reason DOT might bump into one by accident,I understand they write a ticket, take the truck out of service,the driver could walk away and the truck and the freight was left behind.Owner of the truck can't be found, not at the address of record.The sad part is this happen and here we are today.Expideted Freight was special call picked ASAP deliver over nite on time, and got paid good for,I remember picking a small box of screws in Ohio and taking them Alabama for $3.00 a mile.Often one could get 5 or 6 loads a week,now you LUCKY to get that in a month.What wrong with the picture there 300 Million of us,most everything moves by truck and we can't get any work and get paid a rate we can keep our truck up much less our families feed.Is it time hang it up? Please tell me!

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’ll put it like this.

Joe Blow wants to save a few bucks on a shipment of cheap products, yea, I get it.

But you put a $10k+ piece of equipment on a vehicle, knowing that the driver doesn’t speak English, suspecting they’re not legal, you have to be nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: brokcanadian

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
You're assuming that the decision maker who ordered the shipment will ever see who picks it up, or care, because they did their part and moved on. In 5 years of grabbing team loads, (we are a team), only once has a shipper asked to see both drivers. NO SHIPPER has ever come out to look at the truck condition or signage or insurance or license or registration. Now, it could be because I'm blindingly handsome OR they just don't care!

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Now, it could be because I'm blindingly handsome ........
intro-1529941807.jpg

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You're assuming that the decision maker who ordered the shipment will ever see who picks it up, or care, because they did their part and moved on. In 5 years of grabbing team loads, (we are a team), only once has a shipper asked to see both drivers. NO SHIPPER has ever come out to look at the truck condition or signage or insurance or license or registration. Now, it could be because I'm blindingly handsome OR they just don't care!

Specifically regarding your comment about checking on teams, I believe that has started to change. I've been meaning to post about that but haven't had time. I'll try to post a thread soon ...

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Don't forget to practice Social Distancing,,,just know the lot lizzards are ,lol...……….the movie , "the Walking Dead" has been put on hold...not funny...maybe next year.

Reactions: brokcanadian

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
One of our drivers just got to VW in Chattanooga - they are closing until.....? The National Emergency declaration won't prop up the stock market once industry starts to close.

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of our drivers just got to VW in Chattanooga - they are closing until.....? The National Emergency declaration won't prop up the stock market once industry starts to close.

Time to hold on, here we go!
I don't think two weeks is going to matter much. It'll be worse in two weeks.
Then what?
Hope everyone has an emergency fund ...

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I told this Forum a few years ago,that this day would come.Remember all those yellow rental truck with all those guys coming to America hauling freight for peanuts.Please lets all over look the fact they couldn't read and write English.Shipper didn't ask it there were dock high, or if they had Insurance,or a Medical card,not question was asked.I have prove my address get CDL,pay $75 for finger prints,take test for TSA,report any tickets I might get.Medical Card each 2 yrs.Im I missing anything.They loaded them up and now they driving Sprinter,those Yellow truck stand out too much.Rules what rules.If some reason DOT might bump into one by accident,I understand they write a ticket, take the truck out of service,the driver could walk away and the truck and the freight was left behind.Owner of the truck can't be found, not at the address of record.The sad part is this happen and here we are today.Expideted Freight was special call picked ASAP deliver over nite on time, and got paid good for,I remember picking a small box of screws in Ohio and taking them Alabama for $3.00 a mile.Often one could get 5 or 6 loads a week,now you LUCKY to get that in a month.What wrong with the picture there 300 Million of us,most everything moves by truck and we can't get any work and get paid a rate we can keep our truck up much less our families feed.Is it time hang it up? Please tell me!
Wow!

Reactions: Grizzly

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Time to hold on, here we go!
I don't think two weeks is going to matter much. It'll be worse in two weeks.
Then what?
Hope everyone has an emergency fund ...
I literally just spent $10,000 paying off bills. Whee

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

Reactions: ntimevan