Cargo Van Controversial idea?

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As we know, a certain group of expediters have a reputation for running cheap, and the thought occurs to me: do the individual drivers realize how poorly they're being paid? And is there anything they can do about it? Or are they being kept silent by their bosses? Something to think about, maybe?

Reactions: fastman_1

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
join ooida and say no to cheap freight
I was once ask if I would run for $ .90 , then asked to you have D time, fuel surcharge, inside delivery , off load , break down, going to military bases and mall's, if d time when does start, paying for appointment time, before 0800 and after 1700, holiday's and paying for my experience , they said no, sorry wouldn't be able to work for you

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well that is widely rumored anyway or possibly even a stereotype. I've talked to many who are great guys and doing fine. I've also known many good old American white boys who run ridiculously cheap.
Xiggi is dead on. Dig deeper ... rather than being paranoid about the foreigners.

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Hummer53

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
join ooida and say no to cheap freight
I was once ask if I would run for $ .90 , then asked to you have D time, fuel surcharge, inside delivery , off load , break down, going to military bases and mall's, if d time when does start, paying for appointment time, before 0800 and after 1700, holiday's and paying for my experience , they said no, sorry wouldn't be able to work for you
your living in the past Geo..I remember those days of actually getting paid for those functions....but sadly most of them accessory charges are no more or you are begging for them....and .90? most flat rate carriers are now at .75 - .85 for a CV ...even % rates are down you'd be hard pressed to make .80 ALL miles these days...that is without sitting for days on end to wait for that 1 load that might pay better....but what is the cost to sitting?...10-20-30 bucks a day?....

Reactions: ntimevan

Justsitting

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
One of the best people I know was a man I was leased to and he opened my eyes to Daily Gross Revenue. It completely changed my focus for my tractor and has made me more money with less stress than I have ever made. And that was during the past year when it was slower.

As I explored the crazy idea of getting a couple Sprinters, I applied the same principles. And the biggest issue was getting a recruiter to be able to answer what real miles so that I could come up with a gross revenue number (that ultimately is feed by what you need on a net side).

Lots of reasons that went into NOT going this direction. One of the biggest was that all the costs are pushed back to the contractor and the carrier has no incentive to relocate you out of a bad market. Better to let you sit for what the guy I was leased to calls the "Unicorn Load".

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Which is why I'm getting what Geo got. If they don't want to pay because somewhere along the line long deliveries were chipped away due to the huge total, well, I'll enjoy being home more often on "locals"

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
$1 per mile = smiles
you run for a carrier that promises $1.00 for a sprinter regardless of load size? or do you get the dollar on a sprinter sized load?

I don't run for less then a dollar per mile. Bolt is offering .95 to $1.05 so that is close enough I will go with them next time I go back out to expedite... unless someone can match or beat! I gotta get my hands on a 15 or 16 model Sprinter, no one wants my 06 that pays $1 per mile. The .65 and .70 carriers will put me to work.

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I looked at some of my loads with Bolt in a sprinter van, solo. Loads in their core area paid .81 to 1.17 per loaded mile. Loads to areas outside their core business areas, including my voluntary cheap loads to get to and from my home in Florida, ranged from .73 to 1.00 per loaded mile. But those numbers are total, include some for DH if you accept a load requiring some DH to pick up. But longer DH to relocate after delivery might be negotiated in the load pay, but might also be on your dime if you choose to relocate. I've been with other companies, got enough years to qualify for the Iron Butt Club. Bolt works for me.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
$1 per mile = smiles
you run for a carrier that promises $1.00 for a sprinter regardless of load size? or do you get the dollar on a sprinter sized load?

I don't run for less then a dollar per mile. Bolt is offering .95 to $1.05 so that is close enough I will go with them next time I go back out to expedite... unless someone can match or beat! I gotta get my hands on a 15 or 16 model Sprinter, no one wants my 06 that pays $1 per mile. The .65 and .70 carriers will put me to work.

I thought Bolt was a % carrier?.....I think the Bolt recruiter has quoted you a high average there....and No Names post right after yours confirms that...

and now you need that higher rate because you just dropped 4-5 mpg dumping the 06...OR is the 15/16 the new 4 bangers with the much better MPG's?.....

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
However a carrier pays, I still look at what it means to me per mile. Load offers are in dollar amounts, not percentages; I don't know how companies calculate the amount offered to me. My loads reflect a wider range of pay per mile than he says the recruiter quoted, but I suspect the average will be in the same ball park. What I was quoted for gross earnings per month has proven to be obtainable. I'm not worried about starving yet, nor am I afraid that I might join the elite 1 percent.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess my point is...what the ALL mile rate works out to?.....$1.00 a mile quickly diminishes when you tack on 75 more miles DH
IE: 500 mile for $500 now tack on 75 more DH you are now at .86

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll deadhead 50 miles... driving across Chicago or any major city you can log 50 quick.. Its a numbers game, you take the ones for a $1 per mile and laugh off the .70 non American wage loads. :D Non forced dispatch simply means Non forced dispatch. I will take the loads that they advertise .95 to 1.05 why take anything less that was confirmed in writing. I live in places were houses cost over $300k and rents are over $1k a month for a 1br apt so I can't take cheap freight, life isn't cheap.

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
One of the best people I know was a man I was leased to and he opened my eyes to Daily Gross Revenue. It completely changed my focus for my tractor and has made me more money with less stress than I have ever made. And that was during the past year when it was slower.

As I explored the crazy idea of getting a couple Sprinters, I applied the same principles. And the biggest issue was getting a recruiter to be able to answer what real miles so that I could come up with a gross revenue number (that ultimately is feed by what you need on a net side).

Lots of reasons that went into NOT going this direction. One of the biggest was that all the costs are pushed back to the contractor and the carrier has no incentive to relocate you out of a bad market. Better to let you sit for what the guy I was leased to calls the "Unicorn Load".
This is a post to pay attention to, IMO. When a company relieves itself of all obligations regarding a contractor's time and profit, you become a mere cog. They know they have you by the balls.

Tho I think driving a sprinter could be fun to try, I'd never do it because of the glut and cog aspect of it. You are a cog because of the glut. And it is because of that glut that the company can just order more cogs.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As we know, a certain group of expediters have a reputation for running cheap, and the thought occurs to me: do the individual drivers realize how poorly they're being paid? And is there anything they can do about it? Or are they being kept silent by their bosses? Something to think about, maybe?

IMO, in a larger picture and one of the major factors, the cargo van market has entered the state of disequilibrium. It started about 3 years ago. Largely due to the supplies exceeded the demands.

Accepting of the lowered rates are the van market reactions to the disequilibrium.

Currently, the van market is in the state of correction. The excess of the van inventories are being eliminated thru the self-inflicted acceptance of lowered rates which is the normal reaction to the disequilibrium. And others, thru the longer sitting in the parking lots, out of service, on vacation, on temporary or on permanent leave of absence...Yikes!

The cycle of the correction will continue until the excess inventories are eliminated....Bummer!

Hang in there.
Wait! Don't hang in there, Lol....

Reactions: Worn Out Manager