Considering trying local

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm in a sprinter and I'm considering doing local runs in Metro Atlanta(and surrounding states within like 300 mile radius). I'm just not so sure what companies to look for, and where to find them. If you do local runs, do you enjoy it more than when you were OTR? What do you dislike about it? How many miles a week are you running on average? How'd you find your company? What are your reasons for doing local instead of OTR? I'm sure I have a lot more questions but those are the ones off the top of my head.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Someone is going to tell you ceva. Others will say local airfreight companies probably both worth talking to.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
Ceva is by airport , they have local and long distance ( they call it hot shot runs)
Business, home deliver , I've been at ceva 13 year's
Also have dec runs to
They have lot to offer
Send pm, with phone number, give you what I think of ceva
And set up your van to at ceva

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
running local is a lot of hard work as, you have to remember when they close for breaks, lunch, go home , shift changes, when they open etc. know more than one way to get somewhere, when traffic is all back up
today deliver to one of those places that close at 1200 and not to often will take a load, after that most times you have to come back next day. but today they need it so was able to get off load. if I hadn't would have made a very hard day
also have to be charming and smile sometimes, tell them how great they are, also get to know them, always have a great joke to help break the ice,
had 11 stops to day covered 220 miles

Reactions: Perioodic

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Geo, that would be a great example of Ceva.
What time did you arrive Ceva, leave Ceva at end of day, and what was your income ?
Is this a typical day ?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
Start by going to Richmond ,Va any where from 0800 to 0900.
Load up and start deliver 's sometime start in Richmond and end up in Hampton ,va, with anywhere from 7 or 8 stops.
Other times may do a hot shot, 200 to 300 miles
Did 2 run's 2 times a week at 0700 than to Richmond start with regular run
Start about 0800 to 1400, depends what is going
Some times do home delivery , mostly business freight

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Geo, I Was curious about yesterday while the times were still fresh in your head.
You got a break by getting the one stop off late.
Just wondering how much effort goes into an 11 stop 220 mile day.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
there is a lot of planning that goes into each trip you look at each stop
and see is it to tall or to heavy for you to handle by yourself, should it go to one of two man teams that we have
or does it need to go on one of trucks that has a lift gate, you have know does that stop have a forklift or not
you have set it up to off load it, and if it is not over 275 lbs I can off load it by myself.
have it on a piece of plywood, set my hand truck on back bumper and slide it off on to hand truck.
then in to rec'd area
you learn how to do things
some places you have to go to 17th floor to deliver stack boxes on hand truck and put a strap on it , have to know height of every door , put it where they want it. as they do not come down to loading dock, you go to them
and it takes about 1 hour for each pallet , and you can't take pallet off of loading dock, and have to take pallet away
there is extra money for inside and take trash away

CintVan

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Try the local courier companies...I drive for one here in Ohio....I use my car and do very well and home weekends and evenings....isn't a bad way to make money....

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's why I asked Geo what his 220 mile 11stop day paid. I guess we'll never know.
And how much time was involved.
Ya know, 110 miles loaded at $1.75 per mile and 110 empty plus 6 hrs loading/delivering may not be worth getting out of bed for.
At least for some of us.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's why I asked Geo what his 220 mile 11stop day paid. I guess we'll never know.
And how much time was involved.
Ya know, 110 miles loaded at $1.75 per mile and 110 empty plus 6 hrs loading/delivering may not be worth getting out of bed for.
At least for some of us.
Wow if that's not enough for an 8 hour shift that ends at home...anyway only got mine twice, seems someone else thought it was worth it too

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
220 miles could be 4-6 hours over there. And if another 6 hrs of work ?
If $200 for 12 hrs, Sprinter and driver, that's only $16.66 per hour before fixed expenses, variable expenses, risk, and ROI.
Would you buy a Sprinter to work for $11-$12 per hour ?
Without benefits and on a 1099 !
Or am I missing something ?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
BC, Geo never said he made $500 in 8 hours.
He usually speaks of $1.75 per mile.

$500 for 8 hrs is worth getting out of bed for.

Reactions: Ragman